Author Topic: Switzerland dumps broadcast TV  (Read 2691 times)

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
Switzerland dumps broadcast TV
« on: September 09, 2018, 07:31:14 AM »
http://fortune.com/2018/09/06/switzerland-terrestrial-tv-shutdown/

The Swiss government has given the country’s public broadcaster approval to turn off its digital terrestrial TV (known as over-the-air to most people) by the end of 2019. It will be the first nation in Europe to do so.

Most Swiss have high speed broadband internet connections and cable networks in their homes, so the move is unlikely to affect many citizens. Only 1.9% of the population, about 64,000 people, reportedly take advantage of the service that’s being discontinued.

The more wired in we get, the harder it will be when the balloon pops.

Of course, it's fair to say that if the internet went down big time, the broadcasters would not be on the air anyway because they too depend on it to deliver their programming.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
Re: Switzerland dumps broadcast TV
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 11:03:35 PM »
I set up a TV antenna when I moved where I lived
watched it for a few months
have not turned it on in at least 6 months, maybe closer to a year
I blame the commercials
an hour TV show on the air use to be something like 47 min. long,
an hour TV show is not something like 35 min. long
and at that point, I don't care how good the plot is,
not that any of the plots are good anymore,
every USA made TV show I have seen in the last few years seem only to be made if they can also teach something with it,
usual lessons lately are things like gun control is good, morals are as flexible as you want them to be, etc...
thought it was just me till I started watching TV from Canada, all the shows I watch from there are just entertainment. I love them.

my point is that network TV has made sure that it is obsolete.
now I am all for watching good propaganda, and maybe a few commercials...
but I have not even found anyone that will watch the bad propaganda with that many commercials.
not sure what it is like over there,
but can't imagine it is like this place,
the TV stations use to talk about how much the power bill for the transmitters cost. then with the switch to digital TV where they are transmitting about 3 times the power, they just stopped talking about the cost...
never found a drop of info on the web about that, and no insiders that have any clue,
so not sure what is really going on,
but at this point, my guess is that broadcast TV shutting down would only be second best to the cell phone towers being shutting down.