Author Topic: NooElec SDR dongle & Ham it up 1.2 upconverter  (Read 6111 times)

Geek

• New Site Member
NooElec SDR dongle & Ham it up 1.2 upconverter
« on: September 26, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »
I like coming home on a Friday to find a package I'm expecting in the mailbox. 

Earlier this week I ordered a SDR & DVB-T USB Dongle (RTL2832 + R820T), and Ham It Up v1.2 RF upconverter from NooElec.  The bundled package with cables, enclosure, shipping, etc is about $100 dollars.  For me it not only presents the opportunity to listen on the HF bands, but also work on some neat RF things that just don't seem feasible with your traditional receiver.  I suppose it also lets me ease towards having a more traditional ham shack at some point in the future.  I didn't really want to spend $1200 - $2000 on a nice transceiver and have it sit in a box for a month while I work out some type of respectable outdoor HF antenna solution.

Here is a link to a presentation at a computer security conference I normally attend on some of the neat things that can be done with SDR.  Fair warning, it is about 1.5 hours long so you might want to pop some popcorn before viewing.

Defcon 21 - All Your RFz Are Belong to Me - Hacking the Wireless World with Software Defined Radio

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: NooElec SDR dongle & Ham it up 1.2 upconverter
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 05:24:59 PM »
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
Re: NooElec SDR dongle & Ham it up 1.2 upconverter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »
I like coming home on a Friday to find a package I'm expecting in the mailbox. 

Everyone loves it when The Great Brown Truck Laden With Bounty From Afar visits them!

Keep us updated on your project!