Author Topic: Shortened 160 meter sloper  (Read 4617 times)

Lamewolf

Shortened 160 meter sloper
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:25:25 PM »
Just put up my shortened 160 meter sloper this weekend.  Its 92 feet of wire with a 27uH coil at the feed point which is at 7 feet off the ground so I can reach the coil to move the tap lead and the opposite end is supported by parachute cord at 70 feet in a big hickory tree.  The coil is one that I had and is made to screw into a 3/8" x 24 thread antenna mount and the mount has an SO-239 connector to attach the coax.  I mounted the coil under the eave of my back porch roof out of the weather and the ground side is connected to my metal roof for now.  With no taps selected it covers the bottom of the band, the first tap covers the middle of the band and the second covers the top of the band.  Had it on the air last night for a couple of local contacts and it seems to work well for that.  Will try it out more this evening when I get time.

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
Re: Shortened 160 meter sloper
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 05:36:50 PM »
Wow, 70 feet! That's one hell of a tree! Is there a reason why the shield side can't go to an earth ground rod? How is this antenna deployed if you don't have a convenient metal roof?

I've heard of sloper antennas but don't know much about the technicalities.

Jeeze I wish I had room for something like that.

Lamewolf

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 07:06:32 AM »
Wow, 70 feet! That's one hell of a tree! Is there a reason why the shield side can't go to an earth ground rod? How is this antenna deployed if you don't have a convenient metal roof?

I've heard of sloper antennas but don't know much about the technicalities.

Jeeze I wish I had room for something like that.

No reason it can't go to Earth ground, I just didn't have enough wire on hand to do so - will add that as soon as I find some long enough to reach my grounding setup and will also add at least one ground radial.  But it works great using the metal roof as a counterpoise !  Yeah, 70' and it took a 2 ounce sinker and several casts with a surf rod to get it in the right place !

kc8aon

Lamewolf

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 03:37:53 PM »
By the way, here's a link to the online calculator that figures the inductance needed to resonate a given length of wire and is the one I used to figure my new sloper.

http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/~jwp/radio/software/loading.html

KC8AON