Author Topic: Yaesu FT-2900R  (Read 9180 times)

Celt

Yaesu FT-2900R
« on: September 18, 2015, 02:51:51 AM »
I just installed the radio tonight in one of my vehicles. The biggest reason I got this radio was based on what I will be doing with it. It has very good ratings for being able to self cool with no cooling fan in very hot temperatures and is supposed to be very rugged and able to fend off dust and grit easily. It was super easy install (If you knew me you would know electronics hate me) as it came with a wiring package that goes directly to the battery (+/- posts) and doesn't need a ground. Turned it on and fired right up doing a comms check with the buddy who was helping me. Super crisp and clear. That little radio goes from 5 watts of output power all the way up to 75 watts on 2m/70cm. I got a programming CD and was able to copy all of my presets from the Yasesu 270R I have been using. So far I'm really impressed with this radio and from all accounts it seems to be pretty rugged for what I will be using it for. I still need to figure out if I'm happy with the antenna placement but that's an easy fix to move it around if I change my mind. I may fashion together a mobile repeater using a couple inexpensive Baofengs inside an ammo can for some of my trips. If I can get that mobile repeater up to a high point, I will extend my range exponentially. One of our local repeaters sits at just over 6,000 ft and is really easy for our radios to see west/north and east after you get out from the shadow. All in all, I'm very happy with it at the moment.

73's.............

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
Re: Yaesu FT-2900R
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 07:05:04 AM »
You picked a great rig, man. I bought a 2900 about five years ago for my truck. I liked it so much I bought two more. One is now my 2 meter base and the other was originally in a go box. I decommissioned the go box and repurposed the stuff from it elsewhere.

Right now the extra 2900 is just an unused spare. I would like to put it in my Jeep, but Jeeps don't really have any space to mount a radio. I'm contemplating a "mini go box" that could be placed on the seat and removed when not in use.

The only thing I don't like is the 2900's goofy squelch. Instead of a simple analog squelch like the ones that have worked nicely since the beginning of time, Yaesu has some lame deal you have to preset in the menu. No matter what i set it on, I can never get it the way I want. Really terrible design flaw in what is otherwise a stellar radio.

Good luck with the 2900...you're going to love it.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 11:57:35 AM »
Glad you like it.

My Powerwrex BD-750 has the same "menu" squelch. 

I have mine set from the second lowest setting and "ride the volume squelch" when necessary.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 10:52:28 PM »
for you that don't like the squelch on the 2900,
it has a feature of setting the squelch in terms of the S-meter readings, it is a separate menu item, but super handy in places with lots of noise and you are wanting a strong signal only

I like the 2900 lots,
it has quite low current draw on receive, so it is a good one for battery operation,
is pretty efficient on transmit as well,
has fantastic audio out,
plenty of power out,
no moving parts to break or make noise,
and I think the menus are pretty easy to use

by the way,
broke mine by leaving it in a damp car for a year,
the humidity got to the ceramic filters (yes the front window leaked water when it rained),
so, this is a just in case, if it quits hearing strong signals first, it is likely the ceramic filters,
the super quick fix is to change to the narrow FM as it does not have DC voltage on that filter and is not subject to this issue
not to hard to replace the filter either,

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 03:04:34 PM »
for you that don't like the squelch on the 2900,
it has a feature of setting the squelch in terms of the S-meter readings, it is a separate menu item, but super handy in places with lots of noise and you are wanting a strong signal only

I am aware of this option but I could never get it to work any better/different than the digital squelch. One of these days when I'm feeling more adventurous I'll give it another try.

Celt

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 05:25:01 AM »
 So in conjunction with all of this, I bought the programming CD. I have used it with the 270R with very good results. My biggest gripe is it's proprietary to each radio. I get it, they need to make their money where they can. So after installing it into my computer I thought I was going to be in for a long night of programming banks of pre-sets. Well, I looked a little into the instructions (Imagine that, read the instructions?) and found out that I can copy and paste all of my pre-sets right over which I did. This really makes life a whole lot easier for me............

jnr0104

• New Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 05:30:14 AM »
Tevin, I run the 2900 in my Jeep Wrangler 4dr, I just stick in between the lower part of the console and the passenger seat, it never moves and I haven't had any over heating problems, have a Diamond NR22L mounted on the rear driverside of tailgate (we talk lots of simplex down here), and a 40m whip on passenger side for the FT-857.  As to the squelch on the FT2900R,   I use RT software for programming , my RF squelch setting is set to off, and I adjust it with the knob just like an old school squelch.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 05:44:53 AM by jnr0104 »

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »
Celt

Is the thr RT Systems software?  Its a pain that it is proprietary and unique to each radio, but it is good stuff. 

If you travel outside your local area, chexk out my video on using it with www.k5ehx.net to program between points. 

http://www.preparedham.com/programming-the-yaesu-ft60-handheld-ham-radio-via-the-rt-systems-software-via-www-k5ehx-net/
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 10:02:19 AM »
so I looked through the schematic and it looks like the squelch is old fashioned hardware
it does have an adjustment, VR2001
also the front end of the 2900 is not fantastic, in a car you are just fine, but set it up next to a DVD player, computer, or something else and you might think the squelch is broken
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 04:09:06 PM by spacecase0 »

Celt

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 03:09:08 AM »
Celt

Is the thr RT Systems software?  Its a pain that it is proprietary and unique to each radio, but it is good stuff. 

If you travel outside your local area, chexk out my video on using it with www.k5ehx.net to program between points. 

http://www.preparedham.com/programming-the-yaesu-ft60-handheld-ham-radio-via-the-rt-systems-software-via-www-k5ehx-net/

Yes, I'm using the RT Systems software. I really like it and am learning more and more about it's capabilities. Thanks a lot for the info you posted and that information on You Tube, super helpful. I'm very happy with the way my vehicles commo is working out especially now that I have the stronger base. My handheld is now a secondary so I can jump out and give someone a spot without having to run like a wild man all the way down the trail and back up after I get their vehicle through the obstacle. Other nice feature is once I get to camp anyone can wander off on a hike and take the mobile and still have very capable and reliable comms with the camp. In at least my world just about everyone I go off the trail with is using HAM and if they don't believe the benefits once they get out there with a CB and see how reliable comms is with a HAM I have found they quickly convert.

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 07:19:38 AM »
Tevin, I run the 2900 in my Jeep Wrangler 4dr, I just stick in between the lower part of the console and the passenger seat, it never moves and I haven't had any over heating problems, have a Diamond NR22L mounted on the rear driverside of tailgate (we talk lots of simplex down here), and a 40m whip on passenger side for the FT-857.  As to the squelch on the FT2900R,   I use RT software for programming , my RF squelch setting is set to off, and I adjust it with the knob just like an old school squelch.

I will look into this. I have a 2-door Wrangler. The antenna is mounted on the spare tire carrier...no issues with that.

It does not help that my Jeep is a stick shift. That will make it difficult to talk and drive at the same time without some kind of head set, or Bluetooth, or something. I'm trying to keep it simple. I am running an HT right now with an external mic and it's awkward. Still, I would like to have better radio capability for the Jeep.

Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 07:57:07 PM »
If you have the programming cable, you can use Chirp to program the FT-2900 series radios (and a bunch of others).

It works, and it's free.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Celt

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 03:29:30 AM »
Celt

Today I transferred all of my 270R presets into the 2900R programming software and punched them into the radio. In no time I got a contact that was easily 80 miles away in very steep terrain on their end. The contact was using a 5w handheld with a rubber duck. I tried to set up a contact with them on my handheld but only got squelch. This told me my output and receive is solid for the 2900. My neighbor was outside working on his motorcycle and is a complete gearhead. I could tell he had some mild interest in what I was doing with my computer in the truck setting the radio up. I started talking on the radio and after the contact told him where and how far I was talking. The look on his face was priceless.

ghrit

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 07:23:37 AM »
Today I transferred all of my 270R presets into the 2900R programming software and punched them into the radio. In no time I got a contact that was easily 80 miles away in very steep terrain on their end. The contact was using a 5w handheld with a rubber duck. I tried to set up a contact with them on my handheld but only got squelch. This told me my output and receive is solid for the 2900. My neighbor was outside working on his motorcycle and is a complete gearhead. I could tell he had some mild interest in what I was doing with my computer in the truck setting the radio up. I started talking on the radio and after the contact told him where and how far I was talking. The look on his face was priceless.
Now, THAT's what it's all about!
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
KB3ZMF        FN21dy
Amateur Extra Class,  VE
www.survivalmonkey.com