Author Topic: Hello from PNW!  (Read 9143 times)

Seepalaces

Hello from PNW!
« on: January 07, 2016, 11:03:29 PM »
Hi all.  I'm in the pacific northwest and I'm working on my tech license.  I'm always open to learning new things and I'm really grateful AD invited me to jump in here, also.  I'll try not to be pesky as we go along.
There are no stupid questions, but there are ALOT of inquisitive idiots.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: Hello from PNW!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 11:15:10 PM »
Hey See

Thanks for coming over.  Be as pesky as you want.

Tell everyone how are you studying now and any issues you might be having.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:49:47 AM »
Hi from the Southeast to the friendliest Ham forum out there!
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"

Quiet1

• Hurricane Surfer
  • Prepper
  • Is somebody tuning up, or just my tinnitus again?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 07:34:11 AM »
Hi from the Gulf south east!

Are you mostly interested in VHF/UHF, or are you steering toward a General & HF upgrade next?
North of the salt, south of I-10.

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 05:09:21 PM »
G'day and welcome...

Seepalaces

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 11:42:31 AM »
Hi from the Gulf south east!

Are you mostly interested in VHF/UHF, or are you steering toward a General & HF upgrade next?
  I'm definitely interested in general, and possibly extra eventually.  I like learning and I have a bunch of local clubs to choose from, lucky that way.  I have been reading the manual, and now I'm about a third of the way through.  It's a bit like drinking from the fire hose, isn't it.  I'm also a homeschool mom, and this week was a bit hairy, so I slowed down.  I'd like to hit halfway through the manual this weekend and get started on the website AD recommended sometime the last week of January.  My first club meeting is that last week of January, so I'd like to not make a bad first impression.  I tend to be a bit quiet with strangers, so they often become fooled into believing I know something.  So, if I don't answer a question right away, please remember I take longer to process than most.  And if I don't understand it's a question aimed at me, sometimes I won't answer.  Just prod me.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 12:31:29 PM »
See

No worries.  No bumb questions here. No one knows it all either.....

You wont find flaming here cuz those types get cut out of the herd.

Just remember the real learning comes when you get you license and start to practice the craft.

Also study for the Tech and Gen at the same time and take both tests at the same session. You will save the $15 if you do that on the cost of taking the Gen at a later date.

See if you can find another ham(guy or girl) to allow you to come by and see what its all about.  You can get on the air now using their license if they are the "control operator". Its a great way to experience it before you pass the tests. 

DragoSapien

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 02:12:36 PM »
Welcome to the group, glad to have you.

bkt

• New Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 05:54:36 PM »
Welcome!

What's your interest in amateur radio in the context of prepping?

Seepalaces

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 11:01:07 PM »
Welcome!

What's your interest in amateur radio in the context of prepping?
  I have taken some basic krav, but my only useful skill is gardening and I love my neighbors.  So, if I'm going to be useful or helpful at all, I have to find a backdoor.  If there is a true SHTF scenario, my kind, friendly neighbors will be the first to go: unarmed, unprepared, and useless.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 11:23:54 AM »
  I have taken some basic krav, but my only useful skill is gardening and I love my neighbors.  So, if I'm going to be useful or helpful at all, I have to find a backdoor.  If there is a true SHTF scenario, my kind, friendly neighbors will be the first to go: unarmed, unprepared, and useless.

See are they up for learning or do they totaly ignore the possibilities?

Rockntoy

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »
If I can pass the test I am sure you can. Welcome from Okiehoma.
XTRA Ham
Follower of AA

Seepalaces

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 01:12:12 PM »
See are they up for learning or do they totaly ignore the possibilities?
  They are a combination: most think I'm kind of a cute old lady who has a screw loose.  We've lived here for over ten years, and so have most of the neighbors with kids.  So, our kids have toddled together and are all now teens together.  Most of them are in so much trouble financially, they couldn't do much if they wanted to.  Still, I'm very lucky.  We check in on each other.  We have two seniors/shut ins on the street and when the electric goes out, we all check on them.  If something happens, there will be a desire to help each other, but I'm fairly certain they'll all end up at our place for dinner.

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 07:11:19 AM »
  They are a combination: most think I'm kind of a cute old lady who has a screw loose.  We've lived here for over ten years, and so have most of the neighbors with kids.  So, our kids have toddled together and are all now teens together.  Most of them are in so much trouble financially, they couldn't do much if they wanted to.  Still, I'm very lucky.  We check in on each other.  We have two seniors/shut ins on the street and when the electric goes out, we all check on them.  If something happens, there will be a desire to help each other, but I'm fairly certain they'll all end up at our place for dinner.

Haha you might live in my area. Around me are a bunch of well-intended, nice people who for whatever the reason can't do much of anything for themselves. Being a prepper make one cynical. I like my neighbors and will help them to them extent that I can, but when shit gets real, I'll run them off with a gun like everybody else.

W.Lynn

• CDT
  • Trouble-making grandma
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 02:09:50 PM »

Wow, you almost described me - including the neighbors, except I'm in the grandma years now.  Took some Kung fu ages ago, but I'm in Tai Chi now.  I got my license, but it's an inconvenient distance to real civilization  so I don't really  have someone to learn from.  Thinking I need to haul my butt to their "coffee meeting" (mornings, so someone won't complain about making his own dinner.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:51:40 PM by W.Lynn »