Author Topic: Cool listening on scanner  (Read 8052 times)

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
Cool listening on scanner
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:06:09 AM »
Was working from home today and turned on my scanner. Only to hear a SWAT raid going down in my county. I started listening right before they breeched. It was the most intense 30 minutes of radio i've ever heard.. Hostage situation bad guy was shot, all in all a good day!

It was impressive to hear how cool these guys were under pressure.  I've worked with SWAT before on some "red flag" exercises where I was an active bad guy and we used simunitions, and i've seen these guys operate, but it was impressive to hear them live doing it for real...
The more I learn, the less I know.

Hamsexy

• Shepherd's Apprentice
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra class
Re: Cool listening on scanner
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 09:08:21 AM »
Did the bad guy do the right thing or will the taxpayers have to support him?

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 09:15:38 AM »
Did the bad guy do the right thing or will the taxpayers have to support him?

Sounded like a headshot ended it..
The more I learn, the less I know.

BTPost

• Old Fart Ham
  • Prepper
    • Bruce's Trading Post
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:27:08 AM »
I only have TWO issues with Law Enforcement, and Swat Teams.......

First.  They need to make VERY SURE, they have the right Address and Solid Intel before going in.... This has not always been the case, and some VERY Bad Things have happened, because of it. If a LEO gets it wrong, then they need to be FIRED, and Prosecuted, immediately, for being Incompetent to wear the Uniform, NO BS about, "Oh we are very Sorry, that we made a Mistake..." These guys need to have their OWN Personal Skin in the Game. If they screw up, they are GONE, Period. We the People, give them this Power to do these things, and we should DEMAND that they do it Correctly, EVERY Time it is used, or they shouldn't wear the Uniform.

Second. There is NEVER a CASE, to be made, for ANY Civilian Law Enforcement Organization, or Personnel, to be issued Full-Auto Weapons. There just
is NO defensible Senerio, that can be made for such weapons, to be issued to LEOs in the field, PERIOD. Bad things have happened because of the Full-Auto Mentality of Law Enforcement, in the past, and it just doesn't have to happen.

Those are the only two caveats, that I would insist on, for the protection of the civilian Population, from Law Enforcement. Just Say'en... YMMV....
Bruce in alaska AL7AQ

Quietus

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »
I do believe that the (rest of) the civilian population would have need for less protection, if only there were a lot more Peace Officers and a lot less Law Enforcement Officers.

KC9TNH

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 10:29:12 AM »
Rather than tell the "LE" community what they do or don't need, I'd rather that the Guv not presuppose to tell me the same thing. Pre- US v. Miller would work for me. If LE can have 'em I shouldn't have to wait 6 months to be vetted and pay a $200 extortion for the same thing.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 12:44:53 PM »
Rather than tell the "LE" community what they do or don't need, I'd rather that the Guv not presuppose to tell me the same thing. Pre- US v. Miller would work for me. If LE can have 'em I shouldn't have to wait 6 months to be vetted and pay a $200 extortion for the same thing.
I am right there with you, "I get to have what they can have" seems good to me.

W.Lynn

• CDT
  • Trouble-making grandma
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 02:11:12 PM »

Yeah, that'd be a bit much like true self-defense, even from potentially corrupt gov & le, and you know they don't want us to have that.

panoz77

• New Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 08:00:01 PM »
My favorite was to listen to the analog cell phone conversations, no longer now that everything went digital but man was that some funny stuff at 3 am.