Author Topic: The US Air Force radical plan to 'bomb the sky' to improve radio reception  (Read 3506 times)

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Maybe there is hope for Solar Minimum and HF propagation?
Shall we take up a donation for CubeSats ;)

CubeSats carrying ionized gas could create radio-reflecting plasma
This would occur in the ionosphere, which becomes denser at night
Bouncing signals between ground and ionosphere can improve range

Ground-based radio signals are limited by the curvature of Earth’s surface, and those travelling more than about 44 miles are typically stopped if they aren’t given a boost, according to New Scientist.
These communications can be improved by bouncing the radio signals between the ionosphere and the ground, allowing them to zigzag over greater distances.

In one of the USAF-backed projects, researchers with General Science and Drexel University in Pennsylvania are working to develop a way to vaporize metal by heating it beyond its boiling point.
This would allow it to react with atmospheric oxygen to produce radio-reflecting plasma.

Another project from a team at Enig Associates and the University of Maryland plans to heat metal by detonating a small bomb, and converting the blast into electrical energy

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3753417/The-Air-Force-reveals-radical-plan-bomb-sky-improve-radio-reception.html#ixzz4I7dqNUIR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

W.Lynn

• CDT
  • Trouble-making grandma
I love science.

AD

• Administrator
Do you have your HF radio yet?

W.Lynn

• CDT
  • Trouble-making grandma
Re: The US Air Force radical plan to 'bomb the sky' to improve radio reception
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 09:39:32 PM »
My HT needs programed, I will need it to function mostly in Austin & Corpus Christi.  I have a donor that is a project, some f'ing engineer decided the CMOS battery didn't need to be removable.  It's not impossible to correct that if one is willing, just finicky. And I'm distracted from that because I have a martial arts test later this month.

And the extra classes I took recently (4 hours straight sword all in one go, 2 hours 5th White Crane,) won't even matter.

AD

• Administrator
Re: The US Air Force radical plan to 'bomb the sky' to improve radio reception
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 12:23:38 AM »
WL

What HT do you have?