Author Topic: My Hometown Was Rated "Safest City In America." I'm worried.  (Read 3118 times)

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/naperville-sun/news/ct-nvs-safest-city-in-america-st-0524-20150522-story.html

I grew up in Naper(rhymes with "paper")ville and I must say it still is a great place. This article is not a puff piece. Naperville really is that calm. There is no where in that town I would not want my sister or mother walking through at night. There is almost no violent crime. They have a murder about once every 7-10 years. It's the kind of place where you really can leave your bike in the front yard and your doors unlocked at night.

Naperville consistently ranks high in similar surveys and ratings. I don't know how credible any one of them are, but when the same message comes from so many different sources, there's gotta be a truth in there.

Here's why I'm worried: This kind of idyll encourages complacency and is a massive OPSEC breach. And while I realize the publicity is good for the local economy and property values, it also sends up a big bright beacon to nut jobs and terrorists. I can imagine some ISIS-wannabe asshole out there somewhere reading this article and deciding he's just found his next easy target.

I was in Naperville over the holiday weekend. The town is very clean, has amazing schools (I graduated high school there). A really cool, old historic downtown. It has an ethnic/racial demographic mix and everyone gets along. Nice, mostly conservative people. The police are effective and respectful. The government is efficient, by government standards anyway. There is no trouble.

I just hope they have not had their good deal ruined by the attention. I still have family there.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 07:09:56 AM by Tevin »

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
Re: My Hometown Was Rated "Safest City In America." I'm worried.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 01:35:00 PM »
you could put out some negative press on the place,
it is not that much money to get whatever you want put on the news wires
something about how outsiders are mistreated or something, just be creative,
should only take a few hundred dollars to fix the problem if you do it right