Author Topic: Standard Digital Mode for PH  (Read 9686 times)

PLA

• Se Az / Extra/VE
    • The Quiet Survivalist
Standard Digital Mode for PH
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:27:29 AM »
Ok guys, I know which book to read, but for intergroup comms what would be a good standard mode for us to keep in touch on HF. Being we are all scattered to hell and gone, NVIS works for me for the AZ crew, but what about farther out?  Digital is also much more secure than voice or CW.

There are a few( ok everybody) here who know more about this than I do, so lets kick around what is best for comms and intecept.

On a side note, I was reading in QST I think about .gov trying to have a recommended digital mode for EMCOMM use so everyone being supported by HAM is able to exchange info. I want to know so I can monitor them too.

Lamewolf

Re: Standard Digital Mode for PH
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 07:34:48 AM »
Ok guys, I know which book to read, but for intergroup comms what would be a good standard mode for us to keep in touch on HF. Being we are all scattered to hell and gone, NVIS works for me for the AZ crew, but what about farther out?  Digital is also much more secure than voice or CW.

There are a few( ok everybody) here who know more about this than I do, so lets kick around what is best for comms and intecept.

On a side note, I was reading in QST I think about .gov trying to have a recommended digital mode for EMCOMM use so everyone being supported by HAM is able to exchange info. I want to know so I can monitor them too.

Pardon the dumb question, but what is "PH" ?

Quiet1

• Hurricane Surfer
  • Prepper
  • Is somebody tuning up, or just my tinnitus again?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 07:56:08 AM »
Pardon the dumb question, but what is "PH" ?
PH = Post Hillary
North of the salt, south of I-10.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 08:05:16 AM »
PreparedHam. aka US
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

DragoSapien

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 01:06:58 PM »

Quiet1

• Hurricane Surfer
  • Prepper
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 06:50:10 PM »
LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you, thank you.  I'll be here until next Thursday.  Try the borscht, and don't forget to tip your waitress.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 07:11:45 PM »
Thank you, thank you.  I'll be here until next Thursday.  Try the borscht, and don't forget to tip your waitress.
are we talking about fermented foods now ?
if the borscht made of beets or cabbage ?, I never can remember
but I very much like the one made of beets, and still have some I made 5 years ago,
it is pretty neat to be able to store beets for 5 years in such a low tech method and still have them so taste

DragoSapien

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 07:33:55 AM »
Dose PH have a net?????  Or we talking about having one.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 09:19:49 AM »
We had one a long time ago, but it was difficult because of my travel schedule.  2-3 + weeks a month on the road and never a constant schedule.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

Quiet1

• Hurricane Surfer
  • Prepper
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 08:23:06 PM »
if the borscht made of beets or cabbage ?, I never can remember
I think it's beets, but we don't have it in Mississippi so I have no first-hand knowledge.

Grabbing this thread by the nose-ring and pulling it back on topic, may I humbly suggest PSK31?  I run it on a smartphone with a $3 app.  No interface hardware needed, just hold the mic to the phone's speaker and watch the power meter to keep things down around 25% of rated power so as not to smoke the finals.  This is about the least hardware of any digital mode until you get to CW.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 08:55:09 PM »
Grabbing this thread by the nose-ring and pulling it back on topic, may I humbly suggest PSK31?  I run it on a smartphone with a $3 app.  No interface hardware needed, just hold the mic to the phone's speaker and watch the power meter to keep things down around 25% of rated power so as not to smoke the finals.  This is about the least hardware of any digital mode until you get to CW.
PSK31 does seem to be about the best actual communication method past CW
I still can't learn how to whistle psk-31 or even copy it with out the computer, but I actually tried for a while...

also when the noise is very high on HF, HELL seems to cut through the noise quite well, even better than PSK31

Lamewolf

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 06:22:29 AM »
I've tried numerous digital modes but one that has became my favorite is FSQcall.  Very easy to operate, works similar to packet because it has a few commands that makes it useful, will send and receive private messages, and also do image and fax.  No searching for the transmit key to click on, just type the message and hit the enter key and away it goes then returns to receive automatically once the message finishes.  Works fairly well for weal signal work and great for NVIS.  Check it out, and the software is free !  Find it at: http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/MFSK/FSQweb.htm

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »
FSQcall looks good,

we need to start testing them all with a digital mode radio net