Author Topic: Looking for a software signal generator  (Read 6273 times)

endl3ss

• New Site Member
Looking for a software signal generator
« on: February 04, 2013, 12:16:39 PM »
Hi all!

As the title says, I'm looking for a software signal generator that is capable of generating CW, PSK, FSK MFSK, QPSK and similar signals. If it also is capable of saving any generated files as .wav or .mp3 (or any other normal audio-filetypes, it would be a big plus. If it can use character tables for different bit-codes (for example for FSK), it would be completely perfect.
I haven't got a clue if something like this exists, but I gotta try. For all I know, it might be a solution can be found in any of the softwares available for controlling different radios, but I can't afford to check out or buy several software solutions to try them, so any pointers you might have would be much appreciated.

The end result I'm after with this, is simply to generate a few files with various technical transmission-modes, to be played back on an EW-centric exercise in march...yeah, for once I'm playing OPFOR  ;D
I've already tried a few small apps, but most of them is not very intuitive or simply lack the different modes that I'm after.
Plugins for Adobe Audition or Audacity might also work, if some of you know about any such tools.

jdh

• New Site Member
Re: Looking for a software signal generator
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:17:18 PM »
Type sound card digital communications software in the search bar of your favorite search engine and see if any of the results will do what you want.  There too many to try and list them all.

bryanthegoon

• Extra Class and VE
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 02:43:37 PM »
Yep, lots of FREE options out there, search and there are quite a few.

A popular one that does (I believe) everything you are asking for , and is available on many platforms, and is fairly simple to use, is Fldigi

http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html
http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html

endl3ss

• New Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »
Fldigi is pretty much the closest I've found so far yeah, thank you very much for that one :)
Awesome!