Author Topic: Becoming a Baofeng dealer  (Read 11951 times)

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: Becoming a Baofeng dealer
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 11:39:40 PM »
I wish you luck DS. If you have a website for your store let me know and I will post it at the top of the page.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 12:07:56 AM »
Im new to the trade show thing. They started having these shows here in West Texas ( http://www.iwillsurviveevent.com/. )  There first show was my first show. Because I have a prepper site here in West Texas they asked me to be part of it. So I went to just advertise the Desert Rats. I was hooked and realized I should try to make some kind of money to keep me going to the next show.   Right now there's only three of them and one Hamfest in Midland Tx. Thats all I plan to do for now till I get more experience and build up an inventory. One thing I learned going to see these shows was that they have everything preppers want to get, but hardly ever see any radio. Setting up my Go Box is what got people to stop at my table. There was people that didnt have a clue what it was, but thought it was cool looking. LOL. I was giving away a Baofeng BF-F8HP as a raffle that a sponsor to my site gave me to help get attention to the table. I had allot of folks trying to buy it. LOL.  Thats what got me to thinking about selling them. Al tho I was telling everyone about my site and that they could come there to ask question about ham radio, I was also telling them that they would get more answers to there questions here at Prepared Ham then they would at mine. Need I say I had a good time.
sounds like you should just have things to sell there in case anyone wants them at over amazon prices just because they get them right now, or don't want to be tracked
when people try to buy things from you, it is usually good if you can let them.

firewallsrus

• Prepper
  • New Site Member
    • Rambling and Roaming
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »
A good radio "go box" would be  an effective display.  It makes me think of a complaint I have heard repeatedly about 2M/70cm radios.  Post SHTF, the repeaters go down, then they are only good for a few miles. 

My response would be solar-powered cross-band repeaters.  This can be as simple as two Baofeng radios tied together so  that one receives on one band while the other transmits on the other band.  (You can buy a cable to do  this or make one for under $10.)  I picture them being packed inside a PVC tube with an antenna attached on each end cap.  They would be hoisted up any available pole to get some antenna height. (Abandoned cell towers are going to be largely ignored when the grid goes down.)  Judicious use would allow them to be kept charged from solar cells wrapped around the outside of the tube.  If a greater range is needed, the transmit (top) antenna could be replaced with a Yagi beam.  (Think D. J. Molles I think it was book 2 when they started expanding to surrounding towns and putting repeaters on water towers.)

I'm just thinking that things the customer hasn't seen on Amazon (especially prepackaged solutions rather than components) would be attractive to the prepper.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 08:58:30 AM »
FW

I have a Powerwerx DB750 http://www.powerwerx.com/two-way-radios/mobile-radios/db-750x-dual-band-commercial-mobile.html

And its 40/50 watts and does cross band repeat.  I need to test the X-band repeat to be sure it functions but thats an option for portable repeaters @10X the power of the HTs.

The price is only $299 which is 3X+ the cost of 2 HT and the interface, but for a portable/remote repeater the power would make it attractive. 

As soon as my travel schedule slows down in Nov, I will have more time to experiment. 

The unit is in my Avalanche and I really like it. It also has access TX/RX on all the same bands as the Baofeng HTs

I run the Comet CA-2x4SR wideband antenna. The SR designates Search & Rescue amd the amtenna is optimized over the entire UHF/VHF bands.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2082
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:05:00 AM by AD »

firewallsrus

• Prepper
  • New Site Member
    • Rambling and Roaming
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 12:28:14 PM »
Thanks to AD for the heads-up on the PowerWerx mobile radio.  It looks to have the capabilities needed at an attractive price point to go into a group's ad-hoc cross-band repeater in a box concept.  With 50 watts, there's enough power to overcome cable length, so the unit could be mounted more firmly somewhere.
I am a big fan of Chinese disposable radios.  I have several Baofengs (one in each "go bag" and vehicle kit).  I also have some Wouxun handhelds (2ea of the 1P and 8D models)  The 8D has the easiest to program and work-with cross-band repeater functionality I have found, but with  watts out, there are obvious limitations.  I see a 5 watt  cross-band as useful when you aren't planning on venturing beyond your MAG's repeater or simplex coverage, but find yourself in a ravine or building basement where signals just don't reach.  In this case, you can leave the 8D topside and use it for antenna height.
I would love to hear your thoughts on getting cross-band up and working on the PowerWerx.  After many Chinese radios, I have a Yaesu HT (which I toy around with, but find it is more complicated to program than the Baofeng) and a Yaesu HF rig.
Along the way I picked up a Leixen-898 10 Watt Mobile dual-bander (no cross-band) which is downright impossible to remember which buttons to push to do what I want.  My go-to mobile almost immediately became a Kenwood TM-D710GA once I found a used one at a reasonable price.  Programming it is pretty much intuitive and I find I can switch between modes quickly and easily.  When I leave my truck at a jobsite, I can just take an HT with 2" stubby and take advantage of the Comet SBB5-NMO antenna on the truck.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 02:39:07 PM »
an HT with crossband repeat takes way less power than a mobile radio doing it,
my IC-W32A takes almost no power compared to my DR-635 even if they are all set to 5W
just makes batteries and solar smaller and lighter for the HT version
seems like offering the small portable and the high power not so portable versions would be a good plan

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 03:13:08 PM »
FW

On the Yaesu HT take a look at this(link in the article) on using RS Systems Software to program quickly.

http://www.preparedham.com/programming-the-yaesu-ft60-handheld-ham-radio-via-the-rt-systems-software-via-www-k5ehx-net/

I am editing a video for work and if I get that complete by this weekend I will test out the X-Band onnthe 750 and report back.

DragoSapien

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 04:54:57 PM »
I just happen to have the  Powerwerx DB750 in my go box, and I have a brand new one still in the box. I just dont under stand how the cross-band works. Guess I better learn.

firewallsrus

• Prepper
  • New Site Member
    • Rambling and Roaming
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »
I'm a firm believer in the RT systems software.  I have it for my Yaesu FT-897D and my Kenwood TM-D710.  I would be totally lost with my Yaesu VX8Gr HT without the RT systems software.

I do use CHIRP for the Leixen and Baofeng radios and Wouxun software for the Wouxun radios.

AD and Drago, you really should experiment with the cross-band.  I love having that little 2" stubby antenna on my HT and reaching the repeater from 25 miles away.  (Just don't tell anybody the mobile in my truck is doing the heavy lifting.)

firewallsrus

• Prepper
  • New Site Member
    • Rambling and Roaming
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 06:25:16 PM »
Just in case anyone things there isn't a market for devices which have been repackaged and the price multiplied by ten...
Does this radio look familiar to anyone?
http://www.hq98.com/blackbox-dual-band-desktop-base-station/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw35-vBRD3qKz8hPezlIIBEiQAOeKNrrzSEQyuoeHndkhHY6pZnYxgsPZ2M4W3JmX6IkId84gaAsQv8P8HAQ

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 08:25:45 PM »
WOW!!!!!

DragoSapien

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 08:36:21 PM »
LOL!!!!!!!!  Thats crazy.  ;D