Author Topic: set up a repeater  (Read 10904 times)

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
set up a repeater
« on: February 23, 2012, 01:06:29 PM »
there are lots of ways to set up a repeater,
but this is sure an easy one
http://www.prestonmoore.com/repeater.html
it does miss all the parts about setting up a duplexer and all the hard things,
so here is some info on that
http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/2mduplexer.html

but to start with here is a neat page on cross band repeaters
http://www.cvarc.org/tech/crossband.shtml
some radios have it built into them
like the icom w32a, the alinco 635t, and many others
they are perfect for emergency use or low cost...
here is another version
http://www.qsl.net/oares-5/em_repeater.htm
but regular repeaters work much better.

BTPost

• Old Fart Ham
  • Prepper
    • Bruce's Trading Post
Re: set up a repeater
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:24:38 PM »
Just remember, that in most places, Repeaters need to be "Coordinated" with the local Ham Radio Coordinating Committee. If you live anywhere near a 1Mill population City, it will be very likely that most, if not ALL, Repeater Pairs are already spoken for. If you setup an UnCoordinated Repeater on someone else's Coordinated Pair, you will get stomped on, by the locals, pretty hard. If that doesn't get you off the air, the can call my Old Outfit, (FCC) and they can, and will, end your fun, with a NOAL. (Notice of Apparent Liability.... Big Money)  So best do your homework, first, before you slap something on the air.  Just Say'en... YMMV.....
Bruce in alaska AL7AQ

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:31:44 PM »
good points,
in my area all the repeater pairs are used, most with "closed" repeaters that are never used
I have had some of them on and they get zero use for a week solid...
I can't imagine any fallout for setting up one on that frequency

but mainly I expect people here to be putting up repeaters on solar power to replace current ones that will go off line in a power outage.
or to be using crossband repeat systems when out camping,
I guess I should have said that in my first post and mentioned the coordination thing

bryanthegoon

• Extra Class and VE
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »
So just for clarification, is a crossband repeater (as is available in some of the newer radios) an issue?  especially if in a remote area (hiking/camping/fishing).  There are plenty of times that I hike into a remote area that in an emergency I might have trouble getting a signal out of with just a HT, but would be able to get a signal to my truck (which would have a better chance of getting out (more power, bigger antenna, .....)

I am assuming that since this is an available feature in a number of radios that it is a non issue (as long as you are properly licensed for the frequencies involved.)  but you know what happens when you assume....

Recon prepper

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 05:52:55 PM »
since no one answered bryanthe goon i thought i would. you should know being an extra that when its a true emergency all rules are out the window and you or even an unlicensed person may you whatever means necessary at their disposal to send an emergency message.
General Class, ARES, RACES, CERT

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 06:39:44 PM »
As long as you are legally licensed to use all frequencies you are using. You are good to go.
The more I learn, the less I know.

bryanthegoon

• Extra Class and VE
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 11:35:02 PM »
The thing I haven't been able to find a solid answer on is if an "auto ID" is required for a cross-band repeater (ie like a normal repeater) or if it is ok to just ID when using it.  Some of the radios that support cross band repeat out of the box  do ID'ing and some (including mine) do not. I have heard mixed things on this on the internet, was hoping for an opinion from someone with the FCC on their resume .. hint hint ;)

Recon prepper

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »
fcc aprt 97 subpart E

§97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.-
No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radio communication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.
§97.405 Station in distress.-
(a) No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station in distress of any means at its disposal to attract attention, make known its condition and location, and obtain assistance.
General Class, ARES, RACES, CERT