Author Topic: Baofeng UV3-R MARK II Mini (TINY) Dualband HT for about $40-$60 depending  (Read 9438 times)

SigInt

• Amateur Extra
  • Ground Control 121
    • Can you find me now?

(THESE ARE MARK I's - YOU WANT THE MARK II. THE PHOTO IS TO SHOW THE SHELL COLORS)

At a recent club meeting there were 3 or 4 people that had this radio. When I got a chance to play with it I honestly could not believe what I was being told about the price. I ended up buying 3 of them. 2 of them as gifts for family members that get their ticket and a RED one for my BOB.

I got mine last night and played with it for a few hours and decided it was well worth the bucks.

Here is the eHam review page:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9749
(beware because as you know some Hams are just whiny beaches - "volume hard to adjust" [WHAAA] "Had to reset it" [WHAAAA WHAAAA] "Transmits out of the Ham bands" [WHAAAA] sniffle, sniffle, blow)

It is a part 90 device meaning it is not a Ham radio but it is once you set it up. This also means that if you are like me and "open up" every radio you own, you will not need to do it this these.

(THIS IS A MARK II - NOTE THE DUAL FREQ DISPLAY)

Built in Flashlight
Dual Watch
VHF/UHF and FM broadcast
RX 68-108 136-174 400-470 MHz
TX 136-174 400-470

Scanner with Time out or Carrier
Personal Siren device
Computer programmable
And so much more

Ebay Links:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=UV-3R&_sacat=4670&_odkw=UV-3R+battery&_osacat=4670

Comes in Camo, Red, Blue, Yellow and Black

Charger stand, AC and DC (USB) charger included, Battery is included and extras are about $7.50

Batt life is about 2-3 hours XMIT and 12+ hours on standby

Headset w/ PTT

IF THERE IS A REPEATER NEAR YOU I RECOMMEND THIS AS A FIRST TIME RADIO FOR ALL NEW HAMS.

Excellent BOB or Get Home radio. EXCELLENT SOUND In and out

The depending  part is the vendor, the options, the shipping, the quantity.
I got one fully loaded with a cover for $53 shipped YMMV

BTW it is not perfect but for the price I ain't complainin'

Make sure you are buying the Mark II and not the Mark I. The Mark one is missing many features that the Mark II has and will sell for about the same price. I have only seen the Mark I's in used condition so there is little chance of finding one but... YMMV

This is what it looks like:

(almost the same huh?)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:08:30 AM by SigInt »
Books I highly recommend:

One Second After
Under the Dome
Earth Abides
The Road
The Stand