Author Topic: Scanners quick primer  (Read 6171 times)

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
Scanners quick primer
« on: February 10, 2012, 08:14:57 PM »
Most of us are working to get on the air, or if you are already there like I am you are setting up websites to get others on the air so you have people to chat with ;)

Something that you can do prior to getting the test, and will also allow you to listen to local 2m ham communication is to get a scanner.

The first thing you should look into is what type of system your area uses. Most places are switching over to a digital based system. Which would require a digital scanner.

Something like this:
http://www.scannermaster.com/RadioShack_PRO_106_Police_Scanner_p/22-501342.htm

I got mine in the mail today and plan on doing a review/video of it soon. Including programming help and thoughts on how it works.

http://www.radioreference.com/ is a great site to start finding your local frequencies.

In a crisis having the ability to quickly monitor where fire/police are will give you an idea of what is going in. This sort of information could be invaluable in planning an evacuation route. Think about how much more informed you could of been during a Katrina type even with this level of communication!

Something to think about, I felt it was a weakness in my kit, so today I fixed it!

299 is a great price for it too, normally 400..
The more I learn, the less I know.

digitalebola

• Russian Iron
Re: Scanners quick primer
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:06:09 AM »
Thanks!  One thing that I am really disappointed in is that Gwinnett county went to an encrypted system.  I can sit in my living room and listen to 911 dispatch for a town 30 miles away (Douglasville for the locals)!

Growing up my mom had a business that her uncle started. Her uncle was the circuit clerk of the county and he loved keeping up with the goings on - so there was a scanner in the shop and cops were in and out all the time. Lots of fun for an 8 year old boy to be around! I learned all the 10 codes when I got older.

One of the more amazing scanner stories I have happened on another web site.  I was up late checking things on line.  A guy posted something to the effect of shots fired/police activity/orders to stay indoors in his AO.  People hopped on the guy... within minutes an online feed to the local police scanners were found, a google earth layout of the area was posted and breaking news reports were given.  It is kind of scary the info that can be had out there sometimes.

BTW - I was just picking up aircraft traffic from Hartsfield-Jackson.  http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=2282

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
Re: Scanners quick primer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »
There are some interesting things going on in Atlanta on the scanner for sure!

I programmed in my county last night, and the Atlanta digital system. Mostly as a test to see if the software I was using was working. Today I am going to plan on the scan lists more, and organize it. Should be fun.

They are calling for another active tornado season in our neck of the woods.. Good to have the local info. I was BARELY missed last year or the year before by a toranado...
The more I learn, the less I know.