Author Topic: Any of this stuff any good?  (Read 10496 times)

Belifend

• New Site Member
Any of this stuff any good?
« on: February 08, 2012, 05:14:39 AM »
Looking for used HAM stuff to get started with and came across this ad on kijiji
http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-CB-HAM-RADIOS-FOR-SALE-ACC-W0QQAdIdZ352337977
Any of this good for entry level stuff?

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: Any of this stuff any good?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 07:31:48 AM »
At first glance, it looks like all 11 meter stuff(CB). Not saying the CB does not have a part in a ecomm package, i would suggest that it comes after you have gotten setup with a HF rig that will work portable/base and also does UHF/VHF.  Then a HT for the local stuff depending on the repeater network in your area. 

Now this is assuming that moeny is not unlimited and you need to be frugal.  So tell us what your budget is ( now and moving fwd over the next year) and we can come up with a plan.   
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:40:14 AM »
BB, I agree with AD.  The CB equiment might (I say MIGHT) be good for local comms in a pinch, but that is all you will get.  As far as EMCOMM equipment, there will most likely be a zillion CBs out there either interfering with you or monitoring you.

AD is right that a rig that covers both HF and VHF/UHF will give you the most reward for your money.  Be patient.  Don't get "radio fever"!  My .02....... :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:45:56 AM by GDP »
GDP

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »
This,would be a better radio http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Amateur-Ham-radio-Kenwood-TS-570D-W0QQAdIdZ349590639

Review of this on eham
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/237

I dont know if the price is "market worthy" or not, but this is the capibility you should be looking for.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:50:27 AM »
This,would be a better radio http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Amateur-Ham-radio-Kenwood-TS-570D-W0QQAdIdZ349590639

Review of this on eham
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/237

I dont know if the price is "market worthy" or not, but this is the capibility you should be looking for.

Now you're talking!  I have the 570S, which additionally covers 6 meters, and it is a peach!  It operates from 12 vdc, so I use it in the shack as well as mobile.  For the prices on used equipment, you can get both an HF rig for the longer comms and a 2 meter rig for local comms for a reasonable price.
GDP

DSB

• Mr. Personality
  • Global Moderator
  • General Class
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 08:57:33 AM »
GDP is happy as clam. Those Kenwood boys get sensitive if their brand doesnt get mentioned enough!   ;D
DSB

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »
GDP is happy as clam. Those Kenwood boys get sensitive if their brand doesnt get mentioned enough!   ;D

You got it!  Those ICOM and Yaesu guys have a REAL conspiracy going!   ;)
GDP

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:04:21 AM »
You got it!  Those ICOM and Yaesu guys have a REAL conspiracy going!   ;)

All 3 are inferior to my new baby! Ordered her this morning!
The more I learn, the less I know.

Belifend

• New Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »
I saw that, but $500+ is definitely outside my budget. I thought most of that stuff in the ad I posted looked like CB, but a few pieces I didn't recognizes so I thought I'd toss it up to see.
I can probably swing between $100-$200, which I know isn't very much when it comes to this stuff but the budget just isn't there fore any more. I'm going to have to start small and add to it as time goes by.
Thanks for the replies.
BB

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »
I saw that, but $500+ is definitely outside my budget. I thought most of that stuff in the ad I posted looked like CB, but a few pieces I didn't recognizes so I thought I'd toss it up to see.
I can probably swing between $100-$200, which I know isn't very much when it comes to this stuff but the budget just isn't there fore any more. I'm going to have to start small and add to it as time goes by.
Thanks for the replies.
BB

Sounds like a good time to work on the licensing.

DSB

• Mr. Personality
  • Global Moderator
  • General Class
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
Just as an incentive to keep getting those licenses up to General. Here is an old Drake TR4 (HF) in working condition that will bang the bands as good as my little Yeasu 857D. And while my Yeasu cost about $800 (new) this old tabletop heavyweight only costs about $200 used, but both put out 100W (I thought the Drake went up to 300W PEP, but I guess I'm wrong). You can always find a way to work in your budget. Always check the seller scores before buying electronics online, though I'm sure you knew that. I will be searching for an old Drake TR3 for up at my farm toward the end of this year. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180812945512+
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:18:24 PM by DSB »
DSB

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »
Bang the bands with? Heck maybe better!

I was scanning the bands yesterday and heard a couple gentlemen chatting. I stopped because of how good they sounded. They were 95 and 96 years of age respectively. One was running a heathkit, the other a drake TR4, both bought them new, and built themselves. Bottom-line I have never heard an 857d sound as good as these two radios sounded on the air. Now there is a good chance that in their mid 90's they might have a little more knowledge than us.. Either way, I was very very impressed..  Do not hesitate to pick one of these gems up. It might be next on my list.