Author Topic: psk31 with no computer  (Read 16921 times)

Lamewolf

Re: psk31 with no computer
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 06:13:43 AM »
I have one of the Signalink USB interfaces just sitting around...
specifically this one
http://www.tigertronics.com/slusbmain.htm
it is currently wired with an 8 pin round microphone connector, (part of the setup is wiring it for your radio connector )
if I had the NuePSK, then I sure would not be needing it at all
it normally sits in my EMP proof storage bin,
I have the cables, jumper wires(to change microphone connection wiring), allen wrench, CD, and the paper that tells you how to find the instructions on the CD
don't know what microphone connector you need,
the connection to the microphone looks like a regular ethernet connection cable cut in half and then your favorite microphone connector installed, can't remember if I made it or bought it, but either way looks pretty easy
now I am looking for the box it came in...

No problem on the mic connector, I can make up cables as I need them.  With the NuePSK unit, I also have a small usb keyboard and a usb to ps2 adapter and a copy of the manual.  The NuePSK has also been upgraded to do RTTY and can be further upgraded to do CW by sending it in for a reflash or ordering and adding a programming port so you can download and upgrade it yourself.  If you add the extra port, it takes up the space for the 9 volt batteries but it will still run on external power which is what I always did anyway.  I think I had batteries in it one time and took them out to put it in storage for the winter so they wouldn't leak and ruin it and never did use batteries with it again.  I have one cable with it that is wired as a Y adapter so it will work with an Icom 703 or the Yaesu FT-817 But you can order premade cables from them for several different rigs.  Let me know if you are interested in a trade and I'll get it all together and get it ready to ship.  You can send a PM if you want.

Lamewolf

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 06:16:51 AM »
I have one of the Signalink USB interfaces just sitting around...
specifically this one
http://www.tigertronics.com/slusbmain.htm
it is currently wired with an 8 pin round microphone connector, (part of the setup is wiring it for your radio connector )
if I had the NuePSK, then I sure would not be needing it at all
it normally sits in my EMP proof storage bin,
I have the cables, jumper wires(to change microphone connection wiring), allen wrench, CD, and the paper that tells you how to find the instructions on the CD
don't know what microphone connector you need,
the connection to the microphone looks like a regular ethernet connection cable cut in half and then your favorite microphone connector installed, can't remember if I made it or bought it, but either way looks pretty easy
now I am looking for the box it came in...

PS: Let me know what radio you have and I'll see if I have a connector for it and put it on for you, and if you don't need the connectors for the Icom 703 and Yaesu FT817, I can use them myself to make the cable for the Signalink.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 12:58:13 PM »
will be using an FT817 and/or FT857 (same connectors)
I don't have an icom at all, so make sure to keep that connector

I have an extra 6-pin mini-DIN to make the cable, so
should I wire it up the signal link for the FT-817
that way when you get it, it is all set to go for your Yaesu,
will do that if that sounds good to you (I understand if you want to wire it yourself, and just mail the new connector with it )

it kind of sounds like you might have a nice connection that works with your radios already, so you might want to keep them intact that way,
I can make the connectors I need pretty easy
so whatever you want is good with me.

I might be over thinking this,
looking at the IC-703 mic connector, it looks like a short ethernet connector would work to the signal link,
or maybe better a straight through 8 pin to 8 pin modular connector,
depending on what one you use I think you might have to wire the Yaesu connector to match the internal jumpers to make sure you don't have to change the internal jumpers when you change radio connectors...

would you like anything in addition from my direction, like the antenna that I messaged you the details on, or an MFJ-260C (I have made contacts using it, but never more than a mile away), also have other small things if you are looking for anything else

Lamewolf

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 01:36:01 PM »
will be using an FT817 and/or FT857 (same connectors)
I don't have an icom at all, so make sure to keep that connector

I have an extra 6-pin mini-DIN to make the cable, so
should I wire it up the signal link for the FT-817
that way when you get it, it is all set to go for your Yaesu,
will do that if that sounds good to you (I understand if you want to wire it yourself, and just mail the new connector with it )

it kind of sounds like you might have a nice connection that works with your radios already, so you might want to keep them intact that way,
I can make the connectors I need pretty easy
so whatever you want is good with me.

I might be over thinking this,
looking at the IC-703 mic connector, it looks like a short ethernet connector would work to the signal link,
or maybe better a straight through 8 pin to 8 pin modular connector,
depending on what one you use I think you might have to wire the Yaesu connector to match the internal jumpers to make sure you don't have to change the internal jumpers when you change radio connectors...

would you like anything in addition from my direction, like the antenna that I messaged you the details on, or an MFJ-260C (I have made contacts using it, but never more than a mile away), also have other small things if you are looking for anything else

Don't recall what antenna you are referring to - sounds interesting ?  And I use the Icoms mainly for digital ops and only occasionally use the FT-817, so I will keep the Icom connector.  It will work with my IC-703, IC-706Mk2, and my IC-718 which all use the same configuration.  If you want to send the extra connector for the 817 that's fine, I can wire it up if you don't have the time.  But if you can, send me a personal message so we can keep the group clear.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 05:58:33 PM »
I was referring to the MFJ-260C antenna
perfect SWR, but low range
they sell it as a dummy load, but I have talked to quite a few people using it.
my other dummy loads don't radiate nearly so well.
so I actually used it at one point to talk to someone a few blocks away so that my signal did not make it further than it had to.
for the most part it is a pretty good dummy load, but if you look, it does leak

Lamewolf

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »
I was referring to the MFJ-260C antenna
perfect SWR, but low range
they sell it as a dummy load, but I have talked to quite a few people using it.
my other dummy loads don't radiate nearly so well.
so I actually used it at one point to talk to someone a few blocks away so that my signal did not make it further than it had to.
for the most part it is a pretty good dummy load, but if you look, it does leak

A dummy load is designed for testing out the transmitter into a safe load, not designed to be use in place of the antenna.  Yes folks have made contacts on them and I have even worked a ham over 10 miles away on my old Heathkit Cantenna which is a 1KW dummy load in a 1 gallon steel can filled with mineral oil to cool the resistor.  I have also used mine with a coaxial T fitting attached to it with one side to the radio and the other to the antenna and worked several hundred miles - low swr but high losses !