Author Topic: Ok, now I've signed up with HTOL  (Read 21401 times)

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: Ok, now I've signed up with HTOL
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »
So according to this you are 13% complete, over all. 
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

XJP5

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class Operator
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 07:34:03 PM »
So according to this you are 13% complete, over all.

Yes. I'm just trying to figure out why it keeps resetting the % correct score. I think it resets at each new section.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »
Should not do that.  Email John and ask him.  shit i will email john and ask him to look at this thread.   ;D

w1ai

• New Site Member
    • HamTestOnline
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 10:50:08 PM »
Yes. I'm just trying to figure out why it keeps resetting the % correct score. I think it resets at each new section.

This is John, W1AI, the owner of HamTestOnline.  I'm not sure what you mean by "keeps resetting the % correct score."

If you're referring to the "session score" shown on the navigation bar, it is reset whenever you login.  The session score shows the percentage of questions answered correctly the first time they were seen in the current session, and logging in starts a new session.  Some people find that the session score challenges them to focus on answering correctly as much as possible.

If you're referring to the course score shown on the Choose Topics screen and in the gray bar above every question, you may notice it decreasing slightly when you haven't studied for a while.  The system understands that information gradually fades from memory over time, so your topic scores "age" (go down) to reflect that fact.  However, unless you are gone for months, you're not going to see it go all the way down to zero.

If it's some other value that seems to be getting reset, let me know, and I can explain it.  (I wrote the software!)  You can reply on this forum or call HamTestOnline support at 888-857-6164.

John, W1AI

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 12:07:07 AM »
Thanks John for popping in and addressing this. 

XJP5

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class Operator
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 05:39:00 AM »
This is John, W1AI, the owner of HamTestOnline.  I'm not sure what you mean by "keeps resetting the % correct score."

If you're referring to the "session score" shown on the navigation bar, it is reset whenever you login.  The session score shows the percentage of questions answered correctly the first time they were seen in the current session, and logging in starts a new session.  Some people find that the session score challenges them to focus on answering correctly as much as possible ...

John, W1AI

John, the session score is what I was referring to. I was under the impression that it was a cumulative score and didn't realize it was designed to reset after each login. I guess that's why you named it "session score."

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I have yet to master reading  ;) I must say though, I do love the HTO system for test preparation. You did a nice job on it and I do feel I'm learning the material much more than my usual study method, which consists of reading the manuals. Thanks for taking a peek at this post, and your prompt response!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:48:37 AM by XJP5 »

PLA

• Se Az / Extra/VE
    • The Quiet Survivalist
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 08:33:21 AM »
I was extremely satisfied with HTOL

After 2 years with the books and flashcards, I tested in 2 weeks with HTOL and passed missing 2.

Great resource, Id have never found it without the push here

w1ai

• New Site Member
    • HamTestOnline
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »
John, the session score is what I was referring to. I was under the impression that it was a cumulative score and didn't realize it was designed to reset after each login. I guess that's why you named it "session score."

As the developer for HamTestOnline, one of the challenges I face is how to provide features that my students love without making the user interface overly confusing.  The session score is typical.  Some people tell me that they find it motivating.  For example, they might decide to study each day until the session score tells them they have answered 100 unique questions.  Yet I get a lot of questions about why the session score acts the way it does.  (I usually just quote the definition of the session score from the FAQ page.)

It's the same with user rank.  Some people like to watch their rank relative to everyone else on the system.  They will set a goal for their study session and keep working until they achieve it.  For example, if you start at rank 1733, you might decide to keep going until you reach 1000.  Yet I get questions from people who can't understand why their user rank slips when they don't study for a while.  It's because other people were studying while you were snoozing, duh!  (OK, I usually leave off the "duh" from my response.)

Does all this matter?  Only in that it helps motivate people to keep studying.  HamTestOnline is like a cross between a video game and homework.  It's a lot more fun than reading a book, but not nearly as much fun as asteroids.  I use features like session score and user rank to distract my students from the fact that they are actually doing homework.

That's also the idea behind the user interface design: one click to answer, and you get instant feedback. plus the next question (including any diagrams).  As long as I can get the next question back in your face in less than half a second, you're going to be seriously tempted to answer it, even if bedtime was an hour ago and you have to get up early in the morning.  ("OK, just this ONE more, and then I'm going to bed.  This time I MEAN it!")  It's all a nefarious plot to keep you coming back for more.

You could say the same thing about the "Skip subject for now" and "Skip all calculations for now" buttons.  Some people will say, "If it asks me one more question about logic circuits, I'm going to quit!"  The skip buttons give them more control over the study session, which makes it more pleasant, which keeps their keesters in the chairs, which means they get their licenses instead of asking for refunds!  See how I am?   ;-)

John, W1AI
www.hamtestonline.com