Author Topic: Thinking of ways to leverage cheap radios to maximize their value  (Read 11598 times)

firewallsrus

• Prepper
  • New Site Member
    • Rambling and Roaming
I see leveraging very inexpensive dual-band radios into a robust neighborhood communications system even if you don’t have a repeater.  Within the context of a neighborhood (or mutual assistance) group, I envision the following:
One frequency programmed up with the name “Group”.  One side of your radio is always listening on this channel for emergency information or announcements where the whole group needs to hear.  This can be the local repeater if one exists.

The way this system works is one side of your radio is always listening the group channel.  This example uses separate frequencies, but the same thing can be done with just one frequency by using CTCSS tones.

Any information you need the entire neighborhood to be aware of is sent on to the group “channel”.  If you just want to chat with someone in another household, you switch the secondary side of your radio to their channel.  This memory channel on your radio is programmed to transmit on the specific neighbor’s frequency and receive on your own.

Once they hear you calling, they switch the secondary side of their radio labeled with your family name.  Their radio is now going to transmit on the frequency your family is assigned, but still receive on their own family’s channel.

In this way, you both continue to monitor the “emergency” or group channel and can still receive incoming calls on your own channel.  While the conversation is not private, it doesn’t distract everyone in the neighborhood each time someone has something to say.  All without the users having to remember channel numbers or frequencies.

Within your own household, your own channel would connect you with the rest of your family.

Any thoughts?

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
Re: Thinking of ways to leverage cheap radios to maximize their value
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 05:40:31 PM »
that is pretty much what I do daily now

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 06:14:31 PM »
I think it would be way, way easier to simplify your system by establishing a single "emergency" channel everyone listens to and maybe one other "traffic/group" channel for general non-emergency business. Using a CTCSS tone is optional depending on how crowded the band is in your area.

As for set-aside channels for family use, don't get involved with any complex plans. Let each family deal with that on their own. It really would not matter who uses what frequency as long as it was agreed to stay off the two group channels unless some group need is being addressed. Each family would responsible for figuring out for themselves how or if they will monitor the group channels.

Also, there are tons of cheap dual band/dual VFO radios but none I'm aware of that will monitor two frequencies at once. You may have to set them to memory scan mode, which would get very close to what you're trying to do. 

You have a good idea but don't needlessly complicate it. All you really need to do is come up with two reserved group channels.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 06:18:52 PM by Tevin »

firewallsrus

• Prepper
  • New Site Member
    • Rambling and Roaming
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 08:23:38 PM »
All of the Wouxun and the Baofengs will monitor both VFO's.  They switch back and forth in a mode called "Dual-Watch".  Any traffic lighting up one channel will light up both.  In addition, the Baofeng UV-82 can not only be configured to monitor both channels, but it will accommodate dual push-to-talk buttons so either side can be transmitted on depending on which button you press.  The Wouxun KG-UV8D will actually listen on both simultaneously, blending the channels into the single speaker.

My intention in setting up channels for a neighborhood is that during an outage, such a system would replace telephone communications between residents.  Most residents would be hard pressed to understand how to set things up or even remember channels.  This is why I'm thinking of using channel names.  A single frequency would be more than adequate with the use of CTCSS tones for normal house to house calls, but if used much, there would be the same issues any party line situation would produce. 

A big plus in such a system would be that if you hear anything on the radio, it probably pertains to you.  Either it is on the group frequency (essentially that is the emergency frequency) or on your own frequency (or pl tone).  There wouldn't be a need for a general traffic "hailing" frequency with a system like this.  If people are subjected to too much chatter, they might grow to ignore traffic.

GreekMan

• Prepper
    • GreekPreparedness
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 07:15:19 AM »
I think oen can further benefit from the priority channels feature soem of the Chinese radios have. (actiavted through PC programming)
If it works like my kenwood does, one is listening to the two channels displayed, but once there is signal in the priority channels, the radio turns to them, (for listening only)). helps you monitor oter frequencies ;-) or otehr neighborhoods.

ghrit

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 08:19:19 AM »
I like the concept of organizing a group for SHTF circumstances.  That said, while Uncle Charlie will be otherwise busy if an event happens, until then a license is needed by all for drills and practice actually using the radios.  (I like that, too, it means more hams, more activity, and maybe a spot of group fun.)
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
KB3ZMF        FN21dy
Amateur Extra Class,  VE
www.survivalmonkey.com

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 11:01:05 AM »
I had my last Baofeng radio break on me last night
the selector encoder broke on 2 of the ones I have (keep finding them not on the channel where I left it )
checked the solder joints and they are fine...
the one failed a week after I got it, the other lasted 2 years
the older one had many of the buttons stop working quite a while ago

I guess that I am just annoyed,
it is not even the Apocalypse yet and I have already had several low price radios stop working on me. I am down to only the nice pricey radios I have, guess it is time to invest in new batteries for them and not try for yet another Baofeng

Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 05:17:37 PM »
I can buy two or three Baofengs for what a single battery pack costs for a better radio...  Having both strikes me as a good thing.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 01:16:01 AM »
I can buy two or three Baofengs for what a single battery pack costs for a better radio...  Having both strikes me as a good thing.
that is what I did.
now have no working Baofengs
the wouxun I bought was 4 times the price of the Baofeng, and is a great radio,
and still has low price batteries

firewallsrus

• Prepper
  • New Site Member
    • Rambling and Roaming
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 09:05:07 AM »
I haven't had any issues with the Baofeng or the Wouxun.  I have four Baofeng UV-5 radios.  One in the emergency bag in the trunk of each vehicle, one in my go bag and one on kept in the charger on the nightstand next to my bed.  Every week, I pull the freshly charged battery and swap it with one of the others.  The deployed radios are stowed in their respective bags with high gain antennas and batteries detached.  (The antenna so that it doesn't get bent all out of shape, the battery so it can be stored in an outside pocket of the bag for convenient swappng.)

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 09:15:49 AM »
You guys that have had failed radios, what type of duty cycles where you running?
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

firewallsrus

• Prepper
  • New Site Member
    • Rambling and Roaming
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 10:20:33 AM »
Apparently it isn't possible to have a discussion about possible uses for the radios since every time they are mentioned in any forums here or elsewhere, the question of quality completely hijacks the thread.  So I apologize for my original question and withdraw it.  I just wanted to encourage original thinking and perhaps a tad of innovation, but I can see that China bashing is the biggest problem HAMs face.

ghrit

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 10:58:41 AM »
Apparently it isn't possible to have a discussion about possible uses for the radios since every time they are mentioned in any forums here or elsewhere, the question of quality completely hijacks the thread.  So I apologize for my original question and withdraw it.  I just wanted to encourage original thinking and perhaps a tad of innovation, but I can see that China bashing is the biggest problem HAMs face.
The scheme is excellent, it's the quality issue that makes cheaping out worrysome.  This appears to be a case where throwing a bit more money at it will solve the issue entirely.  I (for one) do not cheap out when it comes to something that my life could depend on.

That said, there is some minor evidence to be found that the Chinese are aware of the holes they are putting in their own insteps.  Can we wait for them to come around?  Your call based on your own evaluation of the anticipated situation.
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
KB3ZMF        FN21dy
Amateur Extra Class,  VE
www.survivalmonkey.com

firewallsrus

• Prepper
  • New Site Member
    • Rambling and Roaming
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 11:29:52 AM »
I (for one) do not cheap out when it comes to something that my life could depend on.
I have been using Chinese and Japanese radios for quite some time and haven't noticed quite as many quality issues as I hear about.  My first Wouxun (a 1P) was dropped one afternoon when I was tooling down the highway on my Harley at around 70mph.  The battery case was cracked and deformed a bit and the little protective tip was missing from the 19" high gain antenna, but a new battery pack put that radio back in business and I still use it.  (Currently I have 4 Wouxuns, 4 Baofengs and a Yaesu HT.  In addition, I have Yaesu, Kenwood and Leixen mobile radios.
In the community of preparedness (disaster or SHTF), one is none and two is one.  I can afford to have a pair of Wouxun radios and still enjoy a 30-50% savings over ICOM.  I can (and am) stacked deeply on Baofeng radios without approaching the considerable investment of an ICOM.  If you think buying one ICOM, Motorola, Kenwood, or Yaesu is better than having three or four Chinese radios, then I would hate to see your other preparations. 

I don't know about you, but I would rather the 30 people in my group had 30 radios than three of the more expensive ones.  The Baofeng is cheap enough to carry a spare in your pack on patrols with the benefit that the battery can be swapped so you have more talk time.

Don't buy important "breakable" gear on ebay.  Go to someplace like MTCRadio.com.  Main Trading Company imports directly from China and when they get in a shipment of Chinese radios, they purchase extra bodies for warranty replacements.  That way their customers don't have to ship things back to China.  Even if you're buying name brand equipment, I reccomend Main Trading Company.  Kenwood and ICOM radios purchased new have an optional extended warranty (up to five total years from date of sale).  Their warranty is transferable when you sell the radio, so when you trade up with your buddy, they are getting a better deal too.

The most valid issue I keep hearing is the difficulty to program.  This issue is partially resolved with practice.  The Chinese manuals and even some of the control labels keep me in stitches, but like the Japanese makers, this will likely improve with practice.  Meanwhile, there are sites like Miklor.com where you can get all the information you need to do the job.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 12:09:14 PM »
I did not mean to upset anything about the comment about the radio breaking
I was just very upset that my favorite radio broke,
I love the Baofeng I had,
used it daily for 2.5 years, it has fantastic battery life and the radio is light weight,
I find it easy to program, even from the keyboard, it just took learning it's logic and then it was fine

it is just that I have bought 3 of them and 2 broke within a week of using them, I returned the one broken one,
the last one lasted much longer is now broke.
and the broken one I kept for parts is not helping because they have the same issue
so I am just questioning if it is a good idea to get yet another one
it is just that if I need 4 of them for 3 years of use, I can afford a better radio that is not going to break that often
if I can't maintain them now without a huge pile of them, how am I suppose to do it if there are no stores ?
I want a solution as I loved to use that radio