Author Topic: Thinking of ways to leverage cheap radios to maximize their value  (Read 11701 times)

firewallsrus

• Prepper
  • New Site Member
    • Rambling and Roaming
Re: Thinking of ways to leverage cheap radios to maximize their value
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 03:46:01 PM »
And I'm just saying buy the best you can afford (just like in any other critical gear).  But, buy the best you can afford two of because if you decide you need to have it, one is none, etc.

BTW: Whatever you get, mtcradio.com really is a great source.  I used to work for Richard and it broke my heart to see the refunds he gave people who had abused their equipment.  They aren't going to cross-ship a replacement, but the day they get your broken radio under warranty, they drop a replacement in priority mail toward you.  They are a post office and Richard Lenoir takes enormous pride in quick shipping and quick turn around on products.  He and I had a parting of the ways, but I have never met a more honest and moral man.

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 06:39:07 PM »
Apparently it isn't possible to have a discussion about possible uses for the radios since every time they are mentioned in any forums here or elsewhere, the question of quality completely hijacks the thread.  So I apologize for my original question and withdraw it.  I just wanted to encourage original thinking and perhaps a tad of innovation, but I can see that China bashing is the biggest problem HAMs face.

Dude, relax. You're among friends here.  :)

You were the one who brought up the issue of "cheap radios" and even used the term in the title of your topic, so it's absolutely legitimate to discuss the integrity of the equipment you propose using without the matter being a "hijack".

Anyway, the Chinarigs are built to a low price point and it's not realistic to expect more than what you paid for. It makes one wonder what the catch is when you can buy an entire Baofeng for less than what a microphone for an FT-60 costs.

That does not mean cheap radios are not worth having. I own several Baofengs as loaner/giveaway/throwaway rigs, and they do bring a lot of people into the hobby who could not otherwise afford it. I also own several big-buck Yaesus. My every day carry is a Yaesu. There are plenty of people out there willing to tell me that my Yaesu is a pile of shit. So what? I don't like Kenwood. Whatever. No hard feelings. It's all good.

You can go to any hamfest and find 35 year old Icom 2AT and even older Tempo radios that are clean and still chugging strong. My gut says that thirty years from now the only Chinarigs you'll see at a hamfest will be remnants in the free box.  :o

There are a lot of great ideas floating around this forum, and you probably have a few of your own. I hope you'll stick around for the long haul. The answer to a question does not always follow a straight path.

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 04:43:02 AM »
 The problem I have had with this scenario is button pushing and inability to follow even printed directions. I sent some CERT guys out with 4 5rs and all but one had the channels changed, one even had things erased from memory. The instructions were simple, here is the volume, and push this button to talk. I also loaned out my pair of 888s thinking "no display, no screwing around". Wrong. The non-hams among us simply can't not fiddle with the knobs, even after being told not to turn this knob.
 The other problem has been apathy. I gave a buddy a radio who lives 7 miles away and tested it. It hit my tower easily. First phone call from him was about it not working. Took just a minute to get him back on frequency. Next call, ice storm in 2014. I asked why he wasn't on the radio: Oh I forgot to charge it. Power outage 2 weeks ago, he can't even find what he did with it.
My point is, if folks aren't interested in radio to begin with, there isn't much hope of them working when you need them to. Initially it's a new toy but I have found 100% of the time interest and fascination wane and the best thought out plans go out the window.When you talk about giving the general public a radio and asking them to do more than push the button and talk, it is truly a recipe for disaster.
 There is nothing wrong with your plan, or using Boafeng radios, or even your channel scheme. What you will find wrong with it is people.  I do wish you luck and hope your experiences are better  than mine.
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"