Author Topic: Interesting discussion about a possible new license class.  (Read 3858 times)

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
Was wandering around QRZ.com and came across this: http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/hamradionow-that-arrl-entry-level-license-survey.557554/

Short version: The ARRL wants to petition the FCC to create a new "entry level" license class. Someone started a topic about it on QRZ.com and in just a few days it has grown to over fifty pages.

As it usually is in these deals, at first there is meaningful discussion, then it quickly devolves into a pissing match with the same three or four people doing most of the yakking.  :-\

The ARRL survey is heavily biased and you can tell by the way it's worded that they are not sincerely seeking honest input. It's a forgone conclusion that the ARRL wants the new license class and they are just looking for validation.

For the record, I am totally against the proposed new ticket. There are ten year olds who go from "zero to extra" with just a few evenings of study...and the ARRL thinks it's still too hard???  :o Oh for f---k's sake, stop it already!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:03:19 PM by Tevin »

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: Interesting discussion about a possible new license class.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 08:08:10 PM »
Could not agree more.  Children can pass the tch test with ease.

My feeling are that maybe they want more fees in the bank
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

DragoSapien

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:43:37 PM »
Yup, it's got to be about money. Not to mention they're charging a lot more for membership these days.  I can't justify supporting the ARRL for what they're charging. There's a lot of greediness going on.

Quiet1

• Hurricane Surfer
  • Prepper
  • Is somebody tuning up, or just my tinnitus again?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:08:03 PM »
Yup, it's got to be about money. Not to mention they're charging a lot more for membership these days.  I can't justify supporting the ARRL for what they're charging. There's a lot of greediness going on.
Maybe so, maybe so.  I just have a hard time imagining why the FCC needs to allow a new, easier license class.  Other than the (possible) money angle, this whole thing makes no sense.
North of the salt, south of I-10.

ghrit

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:25:12 PM »
I cannot see the value of a LOWER class license.  Tech is almost a gimme as it is.  I know there are some sheep out there that just love the idea of another freeebie, but to what end?
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
KB3ZMF        FN21dy
Amateur Extra Class,  VE
www.survivalmonkey.com

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 04:46:47 AM »
I would \vote no as well. I already stopped paying the ARRL for membership because it's way too high for a magazine subscription. Just a money making venture that causes my respect forbthe organization to dwindle further,
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 07:53:12 AM »
After over three decades of hamming, I finally cracked and join the ARRL a few years ago. Gratuitous silly stunts & advertising-stuffed magazines aside, they are a strong advocate for amateur radio and also the engine behind a lot of training, contests, and public service projects.

To be clear, the FCC is not considering a new license class at this time. The ARRL is looking into asking the FCC to create the new class, and this survey is supposed to test the waters. Of course, being a de facto subsidiary of the FCC, the ARRL will ultimately get what they want.

I'm not sure what this new ticket is supposed to accomplish besides further dilute any incentive to learn something and expand on the "everyone gets a trophy" licensing system that is already in place.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 06:55:52 PM »
I participated in the NOPTA(National Parks On The Air) with a special activation of PEFO me XP and another ham logged in 224 contacts in about 6 hours with very bad propagation. 
We did way more than enough to earn 5 extra ratings points (press release, GOTA and a few other thing.

For me to get my offical paper for this event it would have cost me $19

Same thing with WAS & WAC. $19 a wac. 

Maybe its because I am marginally employed, but I just dont see spending the money on it.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!