Author Topic: Weekly Net  (Read 8265 times)

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
Weekly Net
« on: May 03, 2012, 07:44:53 PM »
We are going to start having a weekly on air net on Wednesday evenings at 8PM EST 00:00 Zulu.

We will tentatively try to meet on 7.270 LSB

We may have to move the frequency due to band conditions, or activity on that frequency.

Everyone legally licensed to use this frequency is welcome!

The more I learn, the less I know.

BillinNM

• Administrator
  • Too Many Hobbies, not enough time or money!
Re: Weekly Net
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:16:51 PM »
Sounds good...I was gonna try to make it last night, but got tied up at work.
General class license since 1992, been inactive for about 10 years, just getting back into it, thanks to Going Home.   Edit...AE on 4/29/2012

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:19:56 PM »
Yea well, partly our fault.. I figured if we schedule it up and get it on the same time same day each week people can plan around it somewhat. We had 4 last week.. Hopefully we get more this week.. It's going to informal, just see who can hear who, and chat a little bit.

Quietus

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 10:05:58 PM »

We may have to move the frequency due to band conditions, or activity on that frequency.

Howdy Sir, I was just wondering about how the above might work out for you.

It can be said, that a person does hardly ever know what band conditions there may be, when he picks a freq to meet on.

So I was wondering what fallbacks you might put in place in order to make comms.  My knowlege is real limited as a newbie. 

But I was thinking that if you're going to try and talk on one freq, it would be a good idea to have fallbacks in place.  Such as, you try and talk on one freq at one time.  If it's a fail, then go to established procedures to go up or down, by freq numbers, and by times in say, five minute increments, to get the comm done.  If 3.800 fails at  0200Z, are people going to go up to 3.8020.5 at 0205Z, then to 3.805 at 0210Z?  Or down on about those same steps?  Or to a big shift on that band, or maybe even to 40m?  Gotta get 'er done, there is that comm schedule to make... no?

How does a person communicate, on time and on freq... as demanded?  I'm still trying to figure it out.

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 10:26:07 PM »
I agree with everything you said, but for the first few weeks we are just trying to get everyone on the air and talking. So we will just meet here and use the chat to find out the new located if the frequency is in use. After that, we can create different frequencies for fallback, but we need to get on the air on that night and at that time to get a good  understanding of what is available.

KC9TNH

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 05:09:38 PM »
I'll try to get self fed & watered & give this a shot tonight.
:)

16bravolima

• Cool Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Class/VE/CERT Team Leader
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
Me too!
Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine

KC9TNH

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 07:02:10 AM »
By way of an AAR to my chat comments:
In upper midwest I typically see issues on 40m from dawn till getting about 20° of sun, and likewise before full twilight. It's a common thing in my locale which is why a gent to my east takes the 1st hr of a Sat AM net and I pick it up when the ionosphere has settled down - no reflection on anyone's signals here, it is what it is. 75m for me is NVIS usage by design. (Not having calls on others I don't even have an idea who I'm listening for or where they are. I couldn't influence that anyway not running a rotatable but it would be nice in learning/diagnosing things.)

Heard voices, called twice in the blind on 7270, and once on 3970. No notes in the chat that I was heard. Saw mention of the QSO in progress on 7268; had listened to them for 10min prior to the net. Heard alot of tuning that was making their QSO difficult, which they commented on because they had a mobile station they were talking to, probably reason they left. (I hope that tuning was no one here.)

After bidding adios & heading to late supper noticed that propagation went in the toilet for awhile. An absence of band noise (QRN) but lousy prop usually tells me that I'm in the immediate after-effects of a solar event. I call it MSM (not main-stream media) for 'major signal mashing'.  Quiet, inviting bands but signals that don't go anywhere. I'd rather have the QRN we had with a long band but some bands work different for different folks from different locales. Earth spins & we orbit a big lightbulb, kinda like it that way. Up here if the aurora starts dipping at/below the 60° latitude the low bands get very iffy. I could throw the full gallon at you & be lucky to get a 5x5 within NVIS range. When things are really nice, 75m can go quite a ways late at night, but on average conditions barefoot isn't gonna do it. Have a gent way the heck up by Lake Superior though I can talk with on nearly QRP power. Then again, he's got a 2-element quad up on a 200' tower & that on top of a hill. He has good "ears."

Wish I could've stuck around to see how 20m was doing; 17 is my favorite but I like 20m alot. Something to think about which might make it doable for those further away from the NCS or who don't have room for more antenna than that. The lower bands can be fickle but there's a reason .mil keeps 13 & 18mHz in their backpocket 'cause they usually have long windows where they work. If my schedule relaxes, if the weather stays halfway decent, I hope to get an end-fed up (perpendicular to my dipole) and compare the two for 20 & 17m, plotting dots on a map. Couple of capabilities directly E-W I'd like to fill in & 20/17 & 15 (day) is exactly the ticket for what I need to do.

Hope you keep drivin' with it, getting a net established is easier said than done so kudos for the effort. Something to be said for the .mil concept of a CEOI that gives fallback options. Doesn't make the band conditions any better but allows for some non-internet chat options at some later point maybe.
Good luck; I'll keep the thread tagged & see what develops. Getting more folks on the air is a good thing.
:)

In the FWIW category I think you chose an excellent day/eve of the week because you completely avoid the contesting/special events, with the exception of a 2-hr CW sprint that occurs once in awhile, but which doesn't affect voice opns.

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 02:56:04 PM »
I was out of town this past week but plan to give it a go this week again.