Author Topic: Ordered books from Amazon  (Read 6094 times)

W.Lynn

• CDT
  • Trouble-making grandma
Ordered books from Amazon
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:41:19 AM »
It's late, and I'm tired, but when I logged in to Amazon to find "the right books" - I saw something very helpful.

On a review, one author mentioned making sure that you order the books for the current question pools, the ones you will be testing on.  I looked at some books that had no dates listed beyond when they were published.  I'm taking a wild guess that I don't want the books from 2000 or 2003, or even 2006.  I did see books for the current Extra test, if anyone is trying to get that done before the change.  There are also sellers trying to sell outdated books for $50+.

Prime example of 'buyer beware.'

DSB

• Mr. Personality
  • Global Moderator
  • General Class
Re: Ordered books from Amazon
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:46:20 AM »
True. For the tech exam, the last question pool began in 2010. The best way to insure you are getting the most current manuals, is either go to you local HAM radio repair shop OR order from the ARRL.
DSB

W.Lynn

• CDT
  • Trouble-making grandma
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
Even if I walked into a shop, I would check the dates of the question pool the book is for.  It just makes sense.  I can see where this could be a common issue - though if changes aren't too extreme, I can see where many have probably passed tests even with out-of-date books.

DSB

• Mr. Personality
  • Global Moderator
  • General Class
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 07:29:08 PM »
Sure. If you accidentally get stuck with an old book, all you have to do is go the the ARRL site and download the correct current question pool from their site. The difference is you wont necessarily have the correct review questions in the book. You can however use the test questions you get from the ARRL site and look the answers up in the old book
DSB

Tex

• Good friends are hard to come by. Treat'em that way.
  • Need a horse?
    • Wyoming: where the men are men and the women are too
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 01:14:47 AM »
I met with our local HAM club today and asked alot of questions. Also picked up the current ARRL study book for the tech license. They did'nt have a book for the general, but will have it for me next week. I'm going to start attending their weekly meetings and on Saturdays they have a study group that meets to go ever the general study guide. The ball is rolling.

Tex
You big'uns line up, and you little'uns bunch up. It's about to get western.

DSB

• Mr. Personality
  • Global Moderator
  • General Class
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 07:32:12 AM »
Good job, Tex. You are definately taking the path of least resistance. Much easier to have someone locally you can lean on.
DSB

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
Great work, Tex.  Sounds like you have found a good way to study.  Being part of a club gives you some extra motivation and enthusiasm.  Way to go!
GDP