Author Topic: What do I say?  (Read 15928 times)

Tex

• Good friends are hard to come by. Treat'em that way.
  • Need a horse?
    • Wyoming: where the men are men and the women are too
What do I say?
« on: February 13, 2012, 12:17:01 AM »
The "Hostile Native" has been listening to me talk recently about HAM and so far has done a good job of putting up with me. I hit the local club's booth yesterday at a tradeshow and picked up a few pieces of literature and a study guide as well as visited with those guys for a while.

Anyhow, this morning she asked me how much all of this would cost and what good it would do me. I was sort of at a loss. I tried explaining what little that I knew, but I could see I was going nowhere quick. I tried to tell her that I would be learning and I had an interest in electronics. Still no go. When I was all done with my spiel she said it sounded to her like I was just trying to get in touch with my nerdy side. I could'nt help but laugh at that.

What do I say though when she asks these questions. I dont know yet how much I will spend, nor do I even know what I will do once I get going. In the interest of peace and harmony though, I need some good answers. Help.

Thanks
Tex
You big'uns line up, and you little'uns bunch up. It's about to get western.

W.Lynn

• CDT
  • Trouble-making grandma
Re: What do I say?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:12:52 AM »
When telephone lines are down, there's no cable internet, and cell phone towers knocked out (major hurricanes, earthquakes, 9/11) you will still be able to find out what's going on in the world, or call for a helicopter to evacuate an injured family member or neighbor.

And yes, you can get your nerd on in a big way.

But maybe she only wants you for your body? 

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:26:48 AM »
Once the rest of us figure how to communicate with women we will fill you in ;)

Until then i'd go with beg!!

The more I learn, the less I know.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:42:03 AM »
Idial

We just had this conversation yesterday!  ;D
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:19:41 AM »
Idial

We just had this conversation yesterday!  ;D

I'll figure out how to colonize mars before I figure out females..

Fat Clyde

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 02:51:04 PM »
Sounds like spurious emissions! Put a filter on her! Lol! Just kidding btw! I find that if I buy mine something shiny or something with lots of sugar she leaves me alone.

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 05:58:03 PM »
Sounds like spurious emissions! Put a filter on her! Lol! Just kidding btw! I find that if I buy mine something shiny or something with lots of sugar she leaves me alone.

They figure out how to bust right through that.. I've tried all the filters.. no luck.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:16:03 PM by idial1911 »

W.Lynn

• CDT
  • Trouble-making grandma
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »
Your wives sound much like my husband - he doesn't dare complain too much.  I know how much all the extras on his bike cost us.  And the extra long coach he just bought because he thinks he's too old for tent camping.

To be fair, he IS almost 14 months older than myself!

If he complains when I get a radio, I'll just have to get him something with chrome, or a new faring.

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 08:52:38 PM »
Well, you might ask her how much she spent on her last saddle.......... :o

I said something like that once and didn't see my wife for a couple of weeks.  But then I could see her just a little out of my right eye!   :'(

Seriously, you have a tough situation.  If she's a logical person, you might try explaining how important communications would be if the balloon goes up.  If she's an emotional person, you might have to compensate her with a shiny something she can wear while she rides.

Wish I knew the answer, but I'm just not old enough!
GDP

Tex

• Need a horse?
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »
Well, she is pretty tolerant of the things I like. She asked the question though and I didnt have a good answer. It's not like when she asked about me getting my hound. With that I was able to say I was going hunt for hides. HAM is just kind of out of the norm for me. When I told her it was so I could talk to strangers, she said I already do that on the net. She puts up with and even gets into prepping, but I didnt want to lead her to believe that the main reason I want a radio is for when things go bad. Actually, that is one of the lesser reasons. My goals are to make contact with people allover the globe and with all of you. Contacting the space station will be cool too.

I have always been somewhat interested in electronics, but had no way to really go about learning. I hope to achieve a level of lnowledge so that I can learn to build different components as well as some of the kits that are available.

One thing that would bite me in the behind quicker than anything, is if I brought up the cost of a saddle. In this house, I am the tack junky. She used to be until we got together and she saw that when it came to buying tack, she could'nt hold a candle to me. I have a few silver bits that make a Yeasu 897 look cheap. The last saddle bought, I got for her, but I'm the one who uses it. When it comes to spending money I got lucky, because she is the sensible one of us.

Tex

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 09:30:05 PM »
Best thing my wife and I ever did was give each other spending money. When each of gets paid, I shoot money off into our personal accounts, to be spent on whatever we want.. No questions..

It's a hobby, and it's about learning. It's interesting to tweak and tune these things. It's also cool to make contacts from far away, or special event stations.

My new radio will be here thursday.. It's completely in a kit form. I have to build the radio, the panadapter, and wattmeter I am so looking forward to it. For me prepping is a part of it.. However, I enjoy electronics. It gives me something to do inside the house too. I spend to much time on the net working.... The TV is worthless.. I'd rather be playing radio or reading these days.

Tex

• Need a horse?
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 09:35:41 PM »
I agree 1911. We had our satelite turned off last year and have'nt really missed tv. We each have our sites we visit on the net, but I have been looking for an indoor hobby. Winters up here get long and miserable. The ground is too hard to get bucked off of colts and I'm too old and busted up for that anyhow.

Keep us up to date with your kit build and be sure to take pics. I wish I was closer so I could watch you do it.

Tex

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 09:41:23 PM »
I agree 1911. We had our satelite turned off last year and have'nt really missed tv. We each have our sites we visit on the net, but I have been looking for an indoor hobby. Winters up here get long and miserable. The ground is too hard to get bucked off of colts and I'm too old and busted up for that anyhow.

Keep us up to date with your kit build and be sure to take pics. I wish I was closer so I could watch you do it.

Tex

All you would be doing is watch the blind leading the blind ;)

For me it's the summers.. July and Aug in Atlanta is unbearable.. 100 degrees, 100% humidity, you sweat walking to the mailbox.. I'll be in the AC....

Incase you wanted to check it out here is the site for the kit

www.elecraft.com
I got the k3, the p3 panadapter, and the w2 wattmeter/swr bridge. So 3 kits in all.

A lot of people say and believe it will run with the 12k radios once done.. I guess we'll see.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 09:41:32 PM »
There is always sheep TEX.  :(  :o. I thought you told me you had a special place in the heart for the smell of wool
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

Tex

• Need a horse?
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
HaHa AD. You think you're funny, but I'm not the one who'll be making the rounds telling everyone that sheep are liars should they ever learn to talk. In all seriousness, if I get the contracts for weed control, I may take my angoras out on some big ranches. Hopefully I can start this summer or next. If I do, I will most likely be camping out in an oldstyle sheepwagon for the summer. This will give me plenty of time to hone my HAM skills. I will have to have solar for sure. Not sure if any of this will happen, but I've been checking in on it and trying to get it worked out.

1911, I was reading about those radios lastnight. How much does a kit run? Are they hard to put together? How much experience does a person need to have before they decide to tackle one of those?

Tex