Author Topic: Putting together the bigger picture for the beginner  (Read 6771 times)

AGFF

• New Site Member
Putting together the bigger picture for the beginner
« on: February 05, 2012, 09:46:26 AM »
Ok, so I'm new to HAM, hearing so far you recommending to buy after passing the test, ok - me and my budget are good with that! 

That being said, could we do a skip ahead for the big picture (and budgeting for the future) on what I'm looking at for $/equipment to be able to do a multitude of things.  I always like to know the end goal - seems to make the road there a bit straighter.

My goals (as of now I think - subject to change and learning) are the following.

#1 - comms around 20 miles and under reliable in all conditions between me and a prepping friend.  Additional criteria here would be ability to transmit (tx?) and receive (rx??) while stationary at our acreages, while mobile in vehicles  in the same range area or heading one place to the other, and finally - can a hand held do this so we could have comms out hunting in the same woods - or is that a separate system.  So what type of equipment/ band / $ does this require?

#2 - regional comms to rx from long distance and if things are OK tx as well - more for information receiving as a primary, tx as a secondary (again subject to change) this would not be mobile in nature. 

#3 - solar power supplys for both situations above

#4 - whats the difference between the 3 license classes?

#5 - THANKS!

#3 - solar power supply for #1 then #2 as well.

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
Re: Putting together the bigger picture for the beginner
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:49:07 AM »
Really quick suggestions:

#1 - A 2 meter mobile rig for each of you will most likely give you the 20-mile comms (communications).  A 2 meter handheld would work in the woods to talk back to the vehicle.  A mobile rig new <$300, used <$200.  HH (handheld)  new <$200, used <$100

#2 - A multi-band HF rig with appropriate antenna system.  This will give you the ability to talk regionally, state-wide, nationally, and world-wide under the right conditions.  Most of the modern rigs are solid-state and operate off 12 vdc.  You can use this in vehicle or base with the right power supply.

#3 - Solar power system for the rigs can be put together fairly easy.  The determining factor for the size of the system would be how much you will tx (takes more power from the batteries).  All the equipment in my shack is solar powered.

#4 - Technician is basically a beginner's level.  It limits the frequencies you can use and the type of transmissions you can use.  It is mostly for local comms  unless you are using Morse Code.  General is the next level and gives you almost all the privileges of Amateur Radio.  It allows you to use all the bands and modes, but it limits a few small sections that are reserved for Extra.  Extra Class gives you total access to all the frequencies and modes available.  It is the highest level license, which requires the most difficult exam.

#5  - You're welcome.

#6 -  Yes, you can have your entire radio setup operating from solar power.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:21:34 PM by GDP »
GDP

AGFF

• New Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 02:37:27 PM »
I just realized my last question was a brain fart repeat!  Thanks for answering it again though!

Ok, that gives me some good background, and leads in turn to...... yep more questions!

Back to the "regional" or HF band radio - what sort of budget would a person be looking at for a 12v system starting out, I like the 12v aspect as that lends to easier solar power supplies down the road.

And would this "regional" HF band radio be at all compatible with the 2meter handhelds or mobiles?  (so a person could hypothetically have a HF base station that could also talk to a guy in a vehicle with a 2 meter mobile, or one close enough that has a 2 meter handheld.)

Does the General license cover all of these situations then can I assume?

Must a person first pass the Technician level before taking the General exam? or can a person just test for the General and go from there?

Thanks again!

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »

I just realized my last question was a brain fart repeat!  Thanks for answering it again though!

Ok, that gives me some good background, and leads in turn to...... yep more questions!

Back to the "regional" or HF band radio - what sort of budget would a person be looking at for a 12v system starting out, I like the 12v aspect as that lends to easier solar power supplies down the road. You can get a used HF rig for under $500 easily.

And would this "regional" HF band radio be at all compatible with the 2meter handhelds or mobiles?  (so a person could hypothetically have a HF base station that could also talk to a guy in a vehicle with a 2 meter mobile, or one close enough that has a 2 meter handheld.) The HF frquencies are different from the 2 meter frequencies.  2 meters is commonly called VHF (Very High Frequency).  There are radios that cover both the HF bands and the VHF band.  I can't think of a model number off the top of my head, but they are available.  You could use one of those for a base station and talk to the guy in the mobile on 2 meters as well as the regional comms.

Does the General license cover all of these situations then can I assume?Yes.

Must a person first pass the Technician level before taking the General exam? or can a person just test for the General and go from there?It's kinda technical.  The Technician license requires the "Element 2" exam.  The General requires both the "Element 2" and "Element 3".  So, you essentially take the Technician exam and then the General Exam.  You can take them the same day and become a General immediately if you are ready.

Thanks again! No problem.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:58:16 PM by GDP »
GDP

AGFF

• New Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »
Great,

The picture is coming together a bit more.  The 2 tests, one building on the other one, is easy enough to understand.  I have the same basic req's for my ag chemical liscenses - take a general then add on to it for your specialty needs (insecticeds / herbicides / fumigants if needed etc are all optional).

So the two meter VHF is the same band range as my fire departments radios in the 154 - 155 neighborhood then.  Which leads me to ask, is there any effect on HAM's and their equipment by the narrowing up of the frequencies thats requiring our departments to purchase new radios with "finer" tuning?  ie:  would used equipment not meet the requirements potentially?  Or is this a non-issue.

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:42:33 PM »
The picture is coming together a bit more.  The 2 tests, one building on the other one, is easy enough to understand.  I have the same basic req's for my ag chemical liscenses - take a general then add on to it for your specialty needs (insecticeds / herbicides / fumigants if needed etc are all optional).  That's the idea!  You could pass the Element 2, then pass the Element 3, and then pass the Element 4 in the same day and  become an Extra.  Or, take them one at a time.

So the two meter VHF is the same band range as my fire departments radios in the 154 - 155 neighborhood then.  Which leads me to ask, is there any effect on HAM's and their equipment by the narrowing up of the frequencies thats requiring our departments to purchase new radios with "finer" tuning?  ie:  would used equipment not meet the requirements potentially?  Or is this a non-issue.  2 meters is 144-148 MHz (Mega Hertz).  This is basically a non-issue.  The ham bands are a bit different than the public service bands.  The public service bands are specific frequencies.  The ham bands are more continuous frequencies.  The "finer tuning" you mentioned (possibly narrow band FM?) is not currently a requirement for hams.  Used ham equipment is still functional.  Actually a used public service radio might be converted to the ham frequencies.  Converting and building equipment is one of the things that hams can do that commercial users cannot.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:31:34 AM by GDP »
GDP

AGFF

• New Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 09:55:43 PM »
So some of these good but "out of date" non-narrowband capable fire department radios that are starting to flood may be likely candidates for conversion, that's got some interesting potential.

Switching 180 degrees, once a person goes for the exam ($15 or so from what I'm reading?)  does the application to the FCC cost anything, and then how about renewal - any fees there?

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:26:02 PM »
$15 thats it.  No other fees.  Pays your money, takes the tests, pass, get the callsign online in the FCC database abput a week later, paper lic comes in a month-ish. 
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

Cabman

• New Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »
Excellent Posts

This should be the first question and answer post that all inquiring newbies should read.  Answers a ton of questions about the process.  Thanks guys!