Author Topic: Baofeng uv 5r  (Read 8417 times)

PLA

• Se Az / Extra/VE
    • The Quiet Survivalist
Baofeng uv 5r
« on: November 24, 2012, 11:04:16 AM »
So I get 3 of these for the kids to learn thier tech licence and finally get on the air
 I finally got CHIRP to work,
What a PITA getting it to program. A never ending driver, windows and radio cluster which I finally got to work this morning after 3 days of frustration.

Dont ask me how I did it, most of what I said is unpostable... Kid was hiding in his room through most of it, and now hes out I cant get the other 2 out to program........

Christmas is a pain some years

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
Re: Baofeng uv 5r
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 01:31:46 PM »
Such a pain in the ass it almost doesn't make it worth to save the money. Thats been my complaint with them since I first used one. It's almost impossible to program from memory without a computer.. Good luck. My other HT's can..
The more I learn, the less I know.

Earthbound

• trying to get out
  • Extra (2m only)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »
What's the problem?

1. "Mode", switch to Freq mode
2. "A/B", focus on "A".
3. Type Freq.
4. Menu
5. 27 (menu number)
6. Menu
7. ### (whatever memory channel number)
8. Menu
9. Exit
Repeat steps 3-9 to put in TX freq if needed.

Some other settings have to be preset at times, especially:
Menu #s 13, 25 and 26
but once you know the trick (press Menu to access the value, set it, then press Menu to accept) there's nothing to it. 

What's really hard is trying to avoid pressing the TX button.  That's why I made a holder for it.  I expect they will be selling commercial carrying cases for it soon.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:13:21 PM by Earthbound »
Yaesu, meet Baofeng 8)

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 05:55:18 PM »
I just picked up a few of these myself and programmed them by hand. Oh my. I posted a review here:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=271096

It is a nice radio once you get past the urge to whip it across the room  :)

NWFLA

• New Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 09:34:17 AM »
A very good explanation of how to program the Baofeng using a computer is a three part series on YouTube.  Go to YouTube and search for " Baofeng UV-5R Programming With a Computer "

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 05:41:04 PM »
Hard to believe all the gripes over a $35 dual band HT. Hmmm, I can buy 10 for what my F-6a cost. Matter of fact, I do own 3 of them, set up chirp, put in 44 freqs, and loaded my 3 and my neighbors 2 in 10 minutes. As soon as they fall below $35 again on Amazon,  I'm getting 2 more that I won't take out of the box until needed.
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"

Quiet1

• Hurricane Surfer
  • Prepper
  • Is somebody tuning up, or just my tinnitus again?
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:00:33 AM »
Grrr.  Got the cable last week, downloaded chirp, all looking good, then *dialog box* "Sorry, Error.  Nope, can't give you a clue as to what the problem is.  See that sand pile?  Yeah.  Go pound."

Ah, got to learn to program the thing without a computer anyway.  Got an event coming up in two months where I'll need to program it on the fly in the field.  I'm getting the knack, should have it down pat by then.  BTW, thanks Earthbound.

Nice radios though, there's nothing else out there like it at the price – or even at twice the price.  Remarkably rugged.  They need to be, as often as frustrated users wing them across the shack.
North of the salt, south of I-10.

Quiet1

• Hurricane Surfer
  • Prepper
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 07:34:02 AM »
Grrr.  Got the cable last week, downloaded chirp, all looking good, then *dialog box* "Sorry, Error.  Nope, can't give you a clue as to what the problem is.  See that sand pile?  Yeah.  Go pound."

Found the port driver I needed last night, got things sorted out fairly quickly after that.   :)

But UPS tracking tells me that an FT-60 will be in my sweaty hands tomorrow afternoon, which is cooler by far.

BTPost

• Old Fart Ham
  • Prepper
    • Bruce's Trading Post
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 12:10:48 PM »
Quite1....  Could you post the URL where you got your working Driver that makes it all work..... Many of us would like to Know....
Bruce in alaska AL7AQ

Quiet1

• Hurricane Surfer
  • Prepper
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 08:04:57 PM »
Quite1....  Could you post the URL where you got your working Driver that makes it all work..... Many of us would like to Know....
Right here: http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

Now mind you, I'm running a 4 year old Mac mini with OSX 10.6.8.  I was most pleased – and surprised – to find a USB/serial driver that works with it.  The site also has drivers for Windows versions XP thru 8.  I suppose if you're running linux, you can just roll yer own...  Nothing for VAX/VMS either. ;)

miklor.com has a ton of good info on these little radios, including the most concise, complete, and useful example of how to program in a repeater by hand: http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ProgMem.php

TheToad

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »
I "think" I have mine programed with CHIRP. The green light came on anyway. How can you tell? I programed in all of the repeater freq. I punched in 147.080 and it wouldn't stick. It went to 147.075 repeater which I cannot find a listing for in Arizona. Help???