Author Topic: Welcome to Prepared Ham  (Read 9295 times)

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Welcome to Prepared Ham
« on: February 05, 2012, 07:27:59 AM »
I would like to personally welcome you to Prepared Ham. I am writing this at 6 AM on Super Bowl Sunday morning, less than 24 hours after going live. At this time we have 39 members!!!

This is pretty remarkable thinking back to last Friday when on another forum, Bar Bar 2 posted the cell towers in Wyoming got fried by the CME/solar flare and i made an off hand comment about getting in the ham radio so he would have comms. I was overwhelmed with the numbers of PM i got, along with the  posts on the forums with everyone wanting to learn more about amateur radio.

In just over 7 days, we have this forum!!  A pretty remarkable accomplishment.  Thanks to idial1911, who, in just 2 hours after i got the domian and hosting set, had this site up and running. 

There is no magic way to get your license other than putting in the effort to learn the material.  We will be there for you to help you on that journey.  Ask questions, challange us. 

We have a bunch of very experienced ham radio operators here to help mentor you. Most all of them are Extra class operators with 20 or more years in the "sport".  All are far more knowledgeable than I am. 

You need to study and there are several ways to do that.  You can buy the ARRL study guides.  You can use many of the frees sites set up with all of the questions and answers for each license class. You can also use pay sites like www.hamtestonline.com like I did.  It took me just under 30 hours of study to be able to pass both Tech and General class exams on the same night.

It is a continuous learning process that does not stop after you pass the tests.  But thats where the fun begins.  Your first QSO( ham speak for a two way exchange with another ham), your first contact in another state and another country will be remembered forever.  The first time you build your own antenna and talk someone in South America. 

Its a lot of fun, but it can also be a tool for you to help your community by getting involved in your local Ecomm( emergency communications ) group that help in the event of a disaster, like a tornado or a hurricane.

It is what you make. Again welcome.  I have to run and catch a plane. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:31:56 PM by country boy »
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!