Author Topic: Generating interest in ham radio.  (Read 12628 times)

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
Re: Generating interest in ham radio.
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2016, 09:47:19 AM »
Things are starting to happen with the club now since I first posted this. Turns out some of the members have been wanting to try out D-Star. For some reason nobody ever really said anything about it till now. So a D-Star project is whats getting the club going again. So those of you that know D-Star, were going to need some schooling.  ;D

Many clubs are "specialty" clubs, meaning, they focus on EMCOMM, Field Day, contesting, or some niche aspect of ham radio. One club near here is devoted entirely to their annual hamfest.

So if DSTAR is what starts the fire...then I say go for it.

DragoSapien

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
A prepper friend and I are making this new website for the club. Maybe it will attract more attention.

http://www.pecoscountyarc.com/home.html

I do plan to put a link to this site on there as well.

ghrit

• Prepper
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 07:38:23 PM »
Chasing the idea of creating interest a bit:
My club is considering setting up at a local national park and activating it for the NPOTA exercise  (shooting for September, TBA.) We'll be setting up behind a banner with the club's logo in an area where most of the park visitors will have to pass.  Uv cuss, there will be enough of us around to answer questions and hand out ARRL "propaganda."
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
KB3ZMF        FN21dy
Amateur Extra Class,  VE
www.survivalmonkey.com

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2016, 10:29:30 AM »
"I have seen this ^^ too. There is a 70cm machine in my area run by the local EMA and there is one guy who has appointed himself the "repeater police". He thinks he's a permanent net control and can boss everyone around. Now no one uses it because it's easier to move elsewhere than argue."

We just booted as of 1 June our troublemaker, who fits the above description. He would even go as far as telling new hams what their house looked like and what kind of car they had (thanks Google Earth) and creep them out so bad they wouldn't come back. By 2 June repeater usage was up 100%. As of 5 June, now that word has really gotten out, The airwaves are abuzz again.

As for the DStar thing, we operate 2m, 70cm, and 1.2 ghz repeaters, but they see little use. DStar is a strange animal as it seems to flourish and die, and flourish and die. We're at the die phase now, largely due to the DMR phenom taking place.
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"