Author Topic: Antennas for handhelds  (Read 5778 times)

asatrur

• KD0***
Antennas for handhelds
« on: February 07, 2012, 09:41:54 AM »
I have a Yaesu ft-11R that has the standard small mounted antenna and I am wondering if it is possible to use a larger antenna on a hand held like this? I am also interested in ideas on how to use this with an antenna in a car.
Thanks,
Asatrur
Extra Class Ham Radio license
One is none and two is one!

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
Re: Antennas for handhelds
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »
Yes, they make adapters so you can hook up a full sized antenna.
The more I learn, the less I know.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:53:24 AM »
I cant tell if its a SMA connector or not.  But you can get external mag mount antennas for the car.  See my post Mobile Ham  Here http://www.preparedham.com/forums/index.php?topic=86.0
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

asatrur

• KD0***
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 09:56:09 AM »
It is a standard coaxial connection, but this gives me hope and I like the setup.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:04:47 AM by asatrur »
Extra Class Ham Radio license
One is none and two is one!

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:01:16 AM »
I bought the mag mount with the "standard" UHF 239 connector on it and used an 18 inch SMA > UHF cable.  So when i put a full sized radio in the vehicle i can connect direct to the radio.  You can see part of the adapter connected to the top of the radio.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

KF7SZX

• KF7SZX
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »
I only have a handheld radio for the time being so shortly after getting it I realized I want to really see what my little ft-60 could do. Spending a little money at the local HRO I walked out with a 5" mag mount, diamond nr770hb, and a sma jumper from comet. Throwing the antenna on the roof and stringing the coax threw a window and I was set. With a little investment my signal reports returned ten fold of what it was with my diamond SRH77CA. Another cool thing about having just a magmount antenna is that with the ease of installation you can just take it off, string it in a tree and operate from a park or campsite with ease.
KF7SZX, Eric

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 12:46:50 PM »
With radios, it's ANTENNA, ANTENNA, ANTENNA.......

Sounds like you have made a great improvement in your FT-60's performance!  Way to go!   ;D
GDP

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »
I only have a handheld radio for the time being so shortly after getting it I realized I want to really see what my little ft-60 could do. Spending a little money at the local HRO I walked out with a 5" mag mount, diamond nr770hb, and a sma jumper from comet. Throwing the antenna on the roof and stringing the coax threw a window and I was set. With a little investment my signal reports returned ten fold of what it was with my diamond SRH77CA. Another cool thing about having just a magmount antenna is that with the ease of installation you can just take it off, string it in a tree and operate from a park or campsite with ease.

The difference is so big, it's really a game changer. I was trying to explain it someone else on this site the other day. Sometimes in ham radio the nerds get in there and are splitting hairs over tiny little improvements. This isn't one of those cases. It's night and day, basically two different radios...
The more I learn, the less I know.

KF7SZX

• KF7SZX
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:57:10 PM »
Agreed. When I only had the ht antenna I would clip it on the window of the car and drive away from a repeater to see how far I could go and still transmit a communications grade signal, not very far. The day after I got my new mobile antenna I did the something and got to a point to where I didn't even wanna drive any further. It's not just night and day, you're dealing with different years. Haha.
KF7SZX, Eric