Author Topic: Power Supply  (Read 12589 times)

bigunn

Power Supply
« on: February 05, 2012, 08:06:11 PM »
I have a Yaesu FT-2800M That I'm gonna set up and I need a power supply,Needs at least 15 ampsat continuously 13.8volts DC. Would like to know where the best place to order one . Thanks

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
Re: Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:11:51 PM »
www.hamradio.com
www.gigaparts.com
www.aesham.com

all those are good.. just price shop.. The Astrons are good and at a good price.
The more I learn, the less I know.

DSB

• Mr. Personality
  • Global Moderator
  • General Class
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »
I just got a Samlex Sec-1235M power supply from HRO for about $140. Havent hooked it up yet because business has been heavy. It's more than you were talking about at 30 amps, but I didnt want to come up short in the future.
DSB

N7TFP

• New Site Member
    • N7TFP.com
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »
First, don't buy a Yaesu or Icom supply. They are overpriced and aren't really any better than anything else on the market. There are several things to consider when buying DC power supplies:

First, current capacity. For you 2800M (I own one of those) 20 Amps should be plenty. It's a good idea to have a little extra headroom on your DC power supplies, so I'd recommend getting one that's rated at more than 15 Amps, hence, 20Amps would be a good place to start.

Second, you need to decide what type of power supply you need. There are two main kinds: Switching and non-switching. Switching supplies are smaller, lighter, and (generally) less expensive. They have one drawback though: generating interference. Some models that are on the market now have been known to cause interference problems, but not all. I would look on eHam.com at the equipment reviews to compare models.
The other kind of supply is a non-switching supply. These supplies are much heavier because they require a much larger transformer. They are also more expensive, but generally produce slightly cleaner power. I use a non-switching supply, but for you needs I would not recommend making that investment. I use a non-switching supply only because I do sensitive testing of equipment occasionally and I need very clean power with absolutely no harmonics to get accurate results.

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”
     -Nikola Tesla

bigunn

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »
I see that the samlex sec1235m put out more power than what my manuel says I need will this put to much out do I have to worry about harming my radio. It sure is with in budget area. Thanks

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 09:57:06 AM »
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »
The more I learn, the less I know.

bigunn

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
Thanks AD just ordered one now for a ant.

DSB

• Mr. Personality
  • Global Moderator
  • General Class
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 02:28:37 PM »
I was going to tell you that 30 amp PS just give you the capability to run addtional DC equipment off the same power supply. I see you bought the 30 amp Alinco. That was my other choice as well. It is a good power supply. I see that AD and GDP use it.
DSB

N7TFP

• New Site Member
    • N7TFP.com
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »
I see that the Samlex sec1235m puts out more power than what my manuel says I need. Will this put to much out do I have to worry about harming my radio?...
It is listed at a max continuous current of 30 Amps. This is only a maximum. The supply will provide the current that you radio needs and no more. There is no danger of damaging your radio as long as the voltage stays near 13.8 Volts. The extra capacity might come in useful in the future. If you wanted to run another radio or something else that uses 12VDC having a supply with the extra capacity would be bar you from having to buy another supply. I would strongly recommend the SEC1235m.

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”
     -Nikola Tesla

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 07:04:19 PM »
My entire ham shack is powered by a solar power system.  The charge controller is a 30-amp unit, so it is essentially a 30-amp 12 vdc power supply.  My HF rig takes about 22 amps for transmit, so there is extra power available for the 2 meter rig, weather radio, scanner, CB, inverter, and 12-volt outlets for charging power tools, batteries, flashlights, etc.
GDP

bigunn

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 10:32:50 PM »
Ordered the power supply yesterday got it today , no for a ant. Think I'm gonna order one like N7TFP has he even has a video on it and the price looks good. Made by arrow osj 146-440.

ghrit

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 10:29:43 PM »
I bought an MFJ 4225 switching ps.  Has enough snort to run the transceiver and a bit left over for small loads.  Worked well for a couple weeks, then just up and died.  MJF is short on communications, but they are going to replace or fix it under warrantee, only two months old.  Sent it back tonight.
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
KB3ZMF        FN21dy
Amateur Extra Class,  VE
www.survivalmonkey.com

jdh

• New Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
They will replace it once.  I'm still waiting for the second replacement for my 4245.  Each lasted less than a month.  Next time I need a power supply I am buying a deep cycle battery and a charger/maintainer.

The last three thing I have bough with MFJ have been complete failures.  I won't buy their stuff again.

BTPost

• Old Fart Ham
  • Prepper
    • Bruce's Trading Post
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 01:31:59 PM »
Next time I need a power supply I am buying a deep cycle battery and a charger/maintainer.

Just understand that a Battery Charger/Maintainer my NOT be what you really want, if Radios, and Electronics, are the expected Loads.
Depends on the Design of that Charger/Maintainer. If the design, first and foremost is a Linear Regulated Power Supply, that then feeds
a typical Three State Charger, then fine, no issues. HOWEVER, if the design uses just a Filtered Rectifier to feed the Three State Charger,
then you will very likely be introducing a considerable amount of HUM, and Noise on the DC Inputs to your Radios, and Electronics.  I have
used a Numar 35 Amp Regulated Power Supply, set up with the DC Output Voltage Regulated at 13.4 Vdc, to charge a Pair of L16HD Batteries
in Series, for 20 years. This powers the Shacks 12Vdc Buss that run a whole slew of Radios, Computers and associated Electronics. Back in the
Day, when I was designing this System, I first used a Raytelco Constant Volt Charger, and found that I had significant Noise, and Hum, especially when the Battery was at less than Float Voltage. Looked at the Buss with my Textronics  Scope, and could see the issue. Then went to the Numar, and have never had the Issue since, with No discernible, Hum or ripple on the DC Buss, even when pulling 25 Amps when Transmitting on VHF FM at the 140 Watt Level. Just Say'en..... YMMV....
Bruce in alaska AL7AQ